Hornady One Shot

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Caneman, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

anyone using Hornady One Shot as a case lube?

i tried it for the first time this week, seemed too easy, put some .40 s&w cases in a gallon freezer bag, shook the can real well and sprayed for about 5 sec inside the bag, rolled it around... worked really well, oh ya i sprayed a shot inside the sizing die as well...

what is the catch, seems too simple, anyone have horror stories using this product?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never tried it myself so I don't have any horror stories. JLA told me a much cheaper way to do the same and I have been using his recipe ever since. It entails using one pint of alcohol and some Lee resizing lubricant (in the tube). Mix it well and spray the cases while they are inside a gallon baggie. Shake the bag and spray again. Put them in your reloading block to dry and resize as usual. This stuff works great and total cost is about four bucks for a pint of it.
  3. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

do you put it in a simple plastic pump/spray bottle?
  4. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Straight wall cases are alright...bottleneck you'll start running into stuck cases.
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I use the One Shot that is in the aerosol can and it's fantastic. I load .243, 7mm r.m., .270, .300 w.m., 300 wsm, 30-06, and 45/70. Never a hickup.

That said; the pump spray is NOT the same and I have a set of .300 Wby mag. dies with a stuck case in it.

I like it much better than using a lube pad, and because the film is so thin you won't crinkle the shoulder on full sizing of bottleneck brass.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I used to do the exact same process, it attracts too much of the dust from the tumbling media dust left on the brass. After a few hundred rounds things get gummed up in the spent primer drop tube, and inside the resizing die. Then you have a problem with the lube you sprayed inside the case mouth and powder will stick everywhere and not fully drop into the bottom of the case, which my guess is the final product doesn't have very consistent charge weights. Dont let me discourage you though, I just find the headache outweighs smoother resizing, particulalry because I debulge all of my 40 brass on a single stage so its pretty much sized before hitting the LNL first station
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have used one shot for a LONG time. Never one have I had a stuck case because of it.

I put all my cases in my loading block spray at a 45 deg angle from all 4 sides. Then I got at spray straight down on the cases let them sit for 1 to 4 minutes and load like crazy. I think many people don't get enough lube on them.

Why are you lubing pistol brass? With carbide dies you need no lube just polish them good after shooting.
  8. smlranger

smlranger New Member

Agree here. When I started reloading last year I used the One Shot case lube. It does makes things slick but it gums things up. So I was running the cases thru the tumber a second time to remove the case lube. Finally figured, duh, I got carbide dies so it wasn't really needed for my little pistol ammo. I also run my 40SW thru a Redding resizing die on my single stage to remove the bulge.
  9. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I have to say that I never even CONSIDERED that he was talking about pistol brass. I only use lube on my rifle stuff, which HAS to be cleaned prior to any further steps in the loading process. I use carbide dies for pistol and no lube required there.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

lube for the 40 bulge buster, then whatever 1 shot was left on went to the sizer die without removing, then to the tumbler for cleaning... i know i know you don't need it for carbide dies but a little spray inside the die can only help...
  11. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

One Shot works well for me with straight wall cases, but Imperial Sizing Die wax works on all the cases.
  12. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I use One-Shot pretty much exclusively. I have had two stuck cases (.223 and .30-06) so far, but it is still better IMO than using the messy lube and pads.

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Caneman, sorry I didn't back to you sooner. Yes, you just put it in a spray/pump bottle and spray it on just like the one shot. Once it is on the cases, just let them dry for a few minutes and size away. Ever since Josh (JLA) told me about it, I have not used anything else.
  14. okiefired

okiefired New Member

This is how I use it too except I skip the straight down spray, plenty gets in the neck with out it. Apply liberally and give it plenty of time to dry, 10 min or so. I wipe off every case with a paper towel after I size it. 10+ years and not a single stuck case (knock on wood).

okie