Hornady SST slugs

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by MarkC, Nov 8, 2009.

1. MarkC

MarkC New Member

I'm having a real hard time shooting a group with Hornady SST slugs out of my 870. I have a cantilever scope mount, a Bushnell Banner 1-4 power scope, and am sure that everything is tightened down.

I comfortably shoot a 2-3" group at 50 yards, but start spraying them around to more like a 10 inch group at 100. That just shouldn't happen. I'm not a math expert, but a 2-3" group at 50 yards should = about a 4-6" group at 100. I can't figure out what's happening over those last 50 yards. I'm able to shoot a better group with my boy's little 20 gauge Mossberg Bantam 500.

I used to shoot Lightfield slugs and grouped them well at 100 yards. Could it be that my gun just plain does not like the Hornady slugs.

Any suggestions for a slug I should try? Otherwise... I'm just going back to Lightfields.

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

This happens once in a while. If you get good groups with the lightfields, stick with those and forget about the hornadys. My Mossberg 500 never liked the lightfields but loves the winchester BRIs. Whatever. No big loss.....
  3. MarkC

MarkC New Member

I noticed that the Hornady bullet is 300 grains. The Lightfield is near 550 grains. Is it possible that the heavier Lightfield flies better out of the twist in my barrel?
  4. MarkC

MarkC New Member

Problem solved... went back to Lightfields, shot a easy 3 inch group at 100 yards. The twist in my slug barrel must not be appropriate for the high velocity 300 grain SST.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a Winchester 1300 with a rifled BBL and scope mounted to the receiver. It is very ammo sensitive and the only slug I have found that groups well is Federal Premium 3" sabotted slugs. Most other stuff keyholes or shoots all over the paper at 100. The Federals will give me 2-4" consistently so I bought about 10 of the 5-boxes and forget about the rest. If you find one that works buy a bunch as they may "improve" it in the future and it will shoot like the rest.

I own an 870 Supermag for Waterfowl and Turkey so the 1300 stays as a dedicated deer gun as this area is a shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun zone.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I bought some SSTs for my Mossberg 500, Mark. I had the same exact results as you did. Maybe Mossberg 500's and Hornady SSTs don't work well together.....MIne shoots the Remington Copper Solids and the Winchester BRIs okay. I did shoot a box of the lightfields that I happen to have bought. It was only five shots, but they did well too.

Must be a Mossberg thing....

Hope that helps. Too bad, cause the SSTs are the cheapest slugs going right now...
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

My area used to be a dedicated zone like yours, so my Mossberg is a dedicated slug gun as well. We can use rifles now, but I'm still using my mossberg and my muzzleloader for the time being. One of these days I'll get a "dedicated" deer rifle.