Hornady SST

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oldcrustytanker, Nov 23, 2012.

1. oldcrustytanker

oldcrustytanker New Member

I wanted to ask you guys about a load I made. I loaded 130 grain Hornady SST projectile packed with IMR 4895. I'm not quite sure on the load data as I dont have my notes with me at this time but I believe that is irrelavent. I know for a fact that it was a medium to light load. I'm firing this out of a remington 770 .270 cal. I shot the biggest buck I have ever had the pleasure of shooting at. The only shot I had was a chest shot so I took it. I got to the food plot and, there was no blood to be found. I know I hit him because he stumbled for a bit before getting the hell out of dodge. We looked for the deer for hours! We never found him! I was very upset. Made me physically ill as I hate shooting animals and not getting the meat. Well, later that evening I shot a cull buck at about 40yds and he dropped got back up did a little dance and took off! I gave it a few minutes when to check and NO BLOOD! I looked in the woodline and seen him stand up broadside. I popped him again through the front shoulder and he dropped for good! I got to the deer and NO BLOOD! What is the deal these are supposed to be top notch rounds from what I've heard! I opened the deer up and the inside was pretty destroyed with a broke shoulder! I had to dig for the entrance wounds for both shots and had no exit wounds! They are very accurate loads but if they dont get the job done I'm going to be pulling a lot of bullets!!!!

HELP!
  2. clepidus

clepidus Member

I have used SST bullets for the last several deer in both .270 and my wifes .243 this year. I have had zero problem with the 130 or 140 grain bullets in .270 and my wifes 95 grain in .243.

Some people say that they tend to fragment or separate too fast to get the job done but I have recovered the bullets in the last 5 mulies and they have been together. My shots have ranged from under to 417 yards.

I believe I still have the bullet from my deer this fall. I stepped up to 140 grain thinking I was going to hunt Elk as well. I shot a 160 lb 3 point at about 200 yds laying down. Bullet went in through front knee through chest cavity and both lungs and ended up on the outside of the opposite front knee in one piece. He tried to stand up but fell for obvious reasons and that was it.

My wife's shot was on a 4 point at about 90 yards with a 95 grain and it was a perfect heart lung shot. The bullet was between the ribs and skin on opposite site. It was in one piece but I did find a couple small fragments in the rib cage.

I will say that these rounds like to be fired hot. My most accurate load came from a near max load of RL 22. I believe I was only under max by .2 grain with the 130 grain bullets and I bought a box of the Superformance 140s for this season.

If you have access to newspapers or some old phone books put together a nice tight bundle and soak it with water. Fire into it and see if they are expanding. Other than that I don't know. I have read about people having bad luck with them but I really like them.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

if you hunt long enough this will happen to you. The bullets in question are ver very good bullets. I had the very same thing happen to me with remington many years ago. I simply took the boxes of factory rounds and put them away for shtf days. That is my suggestion to you now. Put them away for other purposes. Go out and get some new ones from a different lot number. You may even want to give it a while and switch to something else till this goes away. I have a theory and that is there may be a slight defect some kind of way. But dont give up on the bullet becasue they are simply the best i have ever used. I also like the nosler ballistic tip and you should probably switch to them for the rest of this year.

The people at Hornady are very helpful and will talk to you about your experience. Give them a call and see what they say.

BTW do you have a chrony to see what the muzzel velocity is. That would be a good piece of info when you call.
  4. oldcrustytanker

Thanks for the input guys. I have done some research and it seems to be a very common problem for whitetail deer.
  5. 5string

5string Member

I've shot 2 deer with the hornady sst 130gr .270 cal bullets. I dont have my reload data in front of me so i dont remember what powder.

both were 200+ yrd shots. both deer fell where they were standing. one went all the way threw and one pulverized the neck bone and lungs.

recovered the one bullet and it was mostly intact(except for being almost flat) with a few slivers found in the mushed lungs.

I'me very happy with them.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. oldcrustytanker

well it just has to be my load recipe then! all i know is that they are very accurate! i will use them for coyotes and things of that nature but i'll never shoot another deer with them! I guess people have different luck with different rounds. I wish i could build a balistic gel and test some of them out and see what happens it is awful testing loads on animals in the field while you're hunting to fill your freezer just to find out they're not working properly.
  7. oldcrustytanker

if you wouldn't mind giving me a recipe that would be great 5string! if not i understand!
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am a firm believer in the slightest defect in the bullet causing this.

I personally would switch to nosler ballistic tips for a while and if you want try a new batch of sst's. I use both nosler and sst's and man they are NASTY on deer.
  9. 5string

5string Member

My recipe is straight from the 4th edition hornady manual.#2730SP 130gr

IMR4831 55.8gr
    Win/WLR primers-
    (hornady SST 130 gr .277dia.)lot #00-231
    Remington brass.
    Books claims 2900fps

Each case is fl resized,primer pocket cleaned, trimmed,champered, and every charge is weighed and check full length when bullet is seated. i try to make sure they are all the same as best i can .
    I do not have anyway to check actual muzzle velosity
    Shooting out of ruger #1 sighted in at 200yrds

Instead of (soft points) i substituted the SST. I am not reccommending any thing.:D

Courious as to what others are using. I have not diplicated the accuracy of factory remington psp corlokt as of yet . just hav'nt had the time to experiment with different loads. But the above load is pretty darn close.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. 5string

5string Member

Neither my hornady or speer manual shows any load data for imr 4895 courious as to what manual your loading out of.