hornady xtp 124gr 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dodge, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dodge

dodge New Member

looking all over for a load using unique powder and hornady 124gr xtp. many people stated that the shape of the bullet made for problems with oal, that the bullet was in fact too long and hitting the rifling. one stated to use 5.8 grs with an oal of 1.12" . the hornady manual said 5.2 grs powder with 1.05" oal. both powders were max. i have a ruger lc9 and made a dummy round and at 1.10" oal it fit in the barrel without hitting the rifling. also seemed to load and eject fine. so should i go with the loads recomended for the 1.12"oal or the hornady manual? at 1.05" the bullets pretty short. not too experianced in reloading pistol rounds, mostly all rifle shells. thanks for any imput tom
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Use the longest OAL that will fit and feed in Your pistol. Start low and work up, do not start ant Max.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Whos telling you all that crap??

Ive been using the 124 XTPs for years in several different 9s without a single bullet related issue. The XTPs are my favorite bullets for handguns. Use the OAL listed in the Hornady book.

Heres data pulled right off the Alliant site. Granted its for a 124 gr GDHP but the charge is MAX, so reduce it 10% and start over developing a load with the XTP 124s.
  4. dodge

dodge New Member

JLA what is the OAL of the 9mm xtp shells you reload? if i go with what the other guy at another forum stated that the hornady manuals spec for OAL was 1.050" the case would be above the flat of the bullet and into the tapered part. my ruger LC9 will handle an OAL of 1.12" with no problem. another guy loads at 6.0grs of unique at 1.11"OAL which is over the recomended charge, unless the OAL being 1.11" lowers the pressure enough? thanks for any help tom
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use all the XTPs in the 9X19

90 gr @ 1.070"
    115 gr @ 1.075"
    124 gr @ 1.060"
    147 gr @ 1.100"

These are all listed OAL in the HDY 8th edition. And they have served me perfectly in a plethora of 9mm handguns and carbines.

MY CZ75CWC specifically likes the 124 gr and the 90 gr. The 90 grainer runs damn near 1400 fps from a 4" barrel, and the 124 grainer is almost boring accurate. I only have 1 that liked the 147 gr. It was a hi-point carbine and that clunky piece of plaztik would put them BT-XTPs where the sights were pointed.

The 115 gr is a generic weight that strikes a good happy medium in just about anything chambered for 9 mil.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. dodge

dodge New Member

sorry JLA i have'nt gotten much sleep, busy smoking a venison ham and making xmas candy. anyway i 've been reading the calipers wrong:eek: no wonder they looked too short! think i'll sleep for a few days and then start to reload when i'm a little more clear in the head! thanks again for letting me bother you. tom (can't believe i did that):D
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It happens. I have a dial and a digital, sometimes when im a little sleepy ill read the dial wrong. I never really use the dial anymore since getting the digital. They are so nice.. Nice big fat black numbers to the .0005" right there in my face.. :)
  8. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

A long time ago, there was keen discussion about 9mm loads that could make major category (500 ft./lbs+ ME) I took this as a personal challenge, and did it handily with the 124 gr. XTP and a bit much of Blue Dot. I urgently advise that anyone who is serious about the 124 bullets get into Blue Dot. The reason being that Unique will push you right into over pressure with just a tiny bit over the max. load, whereas the case simply can't hold enough Blue Dot to do it with bullets seated to mag length. Find the pressure ratings for both powders, and you'll see that Blue Dot runs both the highest attainable velocities with 124 gr. bullets, AND the lowest pressure for that velocity.
    With 115 gr. bullets, the CORRECT powder with those same attributes is Hodgdon HS-6. Unique doesn't even apply (with me) until bullet weight goes to 90 gr. I refuse to use a powder that cannot be safely used with the case clear full. That way, it's impossible for me to make the mistake of overcharging.