Horndy HP-XTP or FTX? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 1911Man, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

for .45ACP.
  2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I keep Hydra-Shoks in my 1911. I've shot quite afew various objects with them and have been impressed so far. Not trying to put down what you mentioned, I just haven't played with them much.
  3. Skyhook

Skyhook New Member

Buying off-shelf or reloading?

I doubt you'd notice much difference in the end result either way, but I have stoked the XTPs up a bit and they do really fine work.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I reload exclusively with Hornady XTP's, for all my pistol hunting ammo. These bullets are designed to expand at low to maximum velocities, and anything in between. In .44 Mag I bought some of the FTX bullets, and had to change the sights on my lever gun. They do shoot faster, and flatter than the XTP's (bullet coefficient). I do not carry home made ammo in my SD hand gun, a .45 ACP, so I don't reload expensive bullets for plinking. I do reload a few for target practice, but never carry them.
  5. Skyhook

Skyhook New Member

I reload those XTPs in: .45ACP, .45 Colt, and the .454 SRH, and have been really satisfied.

My Glock .45s have that cussed (not really) octagonal rifling so my practice with them involves jacketed bullets.

The carbine-- CX4-- runs the .45XTPs in excellent fashion as well.

Oh, and I hear ya RE handloads & HD work. Living in a society wherein morons may be deciding your fate requires certain preparations and precautions.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree, hand loads in the home will not cause a problem.
  7. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Skyhook, I'd be reloading them. Not factory. Actually have a box of 100 I might bang this weekend.
  8. Skyhook

Skyhook New Member

You'll be real satisfied, I predict.

I just burned through roughly 200 of them with my 13 y/o grandson. He was using my Beretta CX4 with the Bushnell ReDot and he was ON.

The accuracy of that little carbine always sets me aback some.

Annnnd, the kid had a ball!:D