Hot Bluing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

this stuff?
    http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/958/958388.jpg

they are calling it Art's now.. if it is the same product. Now... do I just go my usual rout of getting supplies ( as the link indicates )? Or are there better, more inexpensive places I should be looking?
    Im looking forward to trying something new... Heck if it works on my pea shooter Stevens Model 15, I just might do the same to my MAB Model D. I should put my restoration of that on here... and really let y'all rip into me.
    Thanks for the insight Guys,
    Shawn
  2. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Where would I put a restoration project on this forum? its an old MAB D model, from 1933 ish... curios and RELICS? or make a new thread under technical questions and information?
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Yep thats the stuff. arts gun shop is about 30 min from mine, he gave me some good pointers on the stuff.
  4. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

well then, If you wouldn't mind, send those pointers my way. Im ordering a pint today.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Order some express blue too and ill tell you how.
  6. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

express blue is made by? same people.. Art's? Ill look for it, and see what I can find. Thank you for the heads up.
    Shawn
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

think I found it.. do I order a volume to match the Art's? 16 oz. or can I go for the 4 oz. bottle?
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It sounds like some confusion here. Belgian Blue is rust blue or at least one version of it. Prior to the invention of caustic salt (hot tank) bluing in the mid-1930's, there were hundreds of formulae for rust bluing, plus of course charcoal bluing, Carbonia bluing, heat bluing, temper bluing, etc. Each gunshop had its own mixture, and every book or article on gunsmithing had one or more concoctions, almost like "The Joy of Bluing." Some gave a real blue, others a black, others a brown, still others a plum color. And each had its devotees, insistent that his brew was best.

So it is not a matter of hot tank blue vs rust blue - there are other choices, but most of the others are either variations of rust blue and require the same amount of work, or are not practical today in a small shop.

Jim