Hot loads for the FTX in a Blackhawk

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by al45lc, Oct 2, 2012.

1. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Got lucky (I think), buddy of mine gave me a box of the hornady FTX 225 gr. bullets (misordered from a catalog), but I have no load data for them and my research indicates that Hornady does NOT recommend using data for same bullet weights for some reason.
    I shoot Speer 225 Mag HP's with 15 grs Blue Dot and get excellent results, but am not familar enough with these FTX to be comfortable using that data, in light of the Hornady warning.
    Any one have any experience here with these, or suggestions on where to start?
    I thought about using data for a heavier bullet (230) and reduce by 5%, but also figured this forum might be my best bet for real life data.
    Thanx!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The reason for hornadys recommendation is because the FTXs are supposed to be used in short cut cases. the OAL isnt gonna matter in your BH because the cylinder will accomodate 1.7" cartridges. Max OAL for the .45 colt is same as .44 mag at 1.6. so you have a 10th of an inch to play with. Use a starting charge for 225 grain bullet and seat them to the cannelure and measure them. if they are at or below 1.7" just crimp them and develop a load like normal with regular 225 gr data.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

holy smokes i just assumed you are loading for a .45 colt BH. If you arent you gotta be loading for a .44 mag BH and the same still applies.. ;)
  4. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Oops, sorry! Yep, for the BH .45 lc, although I was also going to use them in my Marlin 1895.
    Ya'know, this explains the mysterious very short cases I picked up at the range that were all headstamped "Hornady 45:Colt" in red.
    I rarely buy factory ammo, and was unaware of this situation with that bullet loading.
    Thanx for the info.