1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Favorite brands ?

Homemade recipes?

I like Hot Mama's brand HabaneroXXX, from Belize and contains only Red Habaneros, Carrots, Onions, Lime juice, Vinegar, Garlic and Salt. Fair amount of kick with Great flavor. I think this has a much better flavor than Dave's, Tabasco or some of the others I've tried.

I also like El Tapatio for it's flavor, although a bit milder. Great on eggs.

Never tried my own hot sauce; plenty of salsa and pico though.

Also went ahead and ordered some of this today : "Melinda's All Natural Habanero Ketchup". I will post up on how it tastes when it gets here.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Of the commonly available commercial brands I like Sriracha best. It's in the Asian section of the Super Wallyworlds around here.
    A friend gave me a bottle of homemade sauce just today, it's a lime pepper sauce. I haven't tasted it yet.
  3. woolleyworm

I've had the Sriracha before, great on egg rolls and for dipping sauces. Great with Asian foods.
    Let us know how the lime/pepper sauce tastes, if it's good, post up a recipe. If it's bad, send it to BU's wife and let her get rid of it; I'm sure she'll come up with something creative! :D:D
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

No recipe yet but the sauce is pretty good. Not very hot, strong lime flavor. Not overpowering, I'd call it refreshing.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

The hotter the better. The habanero sauce in the stores around here is pathetic. It might have a quarter of a pepper in the jar. Lame. My grandmother used to make this wicked green sauce when I was a kid. Back then it was too hot for me, but my Dad ate it up. There is a sauce I saw on the Internet made from Ghost peppers that looks good....I may try that. So far, I haven't found a production sauce that is hot enough for my tastes.
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

There's the classic Dave's Insanity, it has capsicum concentrate added.
    A friend once gave me a vial of sauce that came in a miniature outhouse, called A** Blaster. Also contained capsicum concentrate, but tasty as well as hot.
  7. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

All time favorite is A line of sauces called "Scorned Women" and they have a variety called "Sweet Magic" Not too hot and not too sweet. Great on Pizza and in chili etc. For a sweeter variety I like Georgia Peach and Vidallia Onion Hot Sauce. For a straight hot sauce I like Blair's "After Death" Won 1st place a few years ago in national competition for habanero based hot sauce. Very Hot!!
  8. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I love the flavor and sweetness of Tiger Sauce myself.It's great on meats,fish,and in soups.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Woolley

Try this... I like it real well for homemade hot sauce.

Crpdeth
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

Tiger Sauce is good. Not hot but it has a good flavor.
    I'm surprised that you're finding it in Mass.

Art
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am pretty tame when it comes to hot sauce. For me Crystal Hot Suace is my favorite but I also like Tabasco Chipoltle Sauce.
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Malinda's habanero sauce,
    and 'crying tongue' habanero sauce
  13. woolleyworm

Sounds great, soon as I can get some fresh peppers I will be making some up. Let ya know how it turns out when I do. :cool:
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I'm going to have to try that, just because of the name. :D

Please do I really enjoy it.

Crpdeth
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I, too, enjoy the Chipotle variety of Tabasco.

A hoter version of Chipotle is El Yucateco brand Chipotle hot sauce. GREAT on Mexican food, and adds a Mexican flavor to whatever you put it on. I found this one at Wally World, really liked it, but then discovered that the WW around here were discontinuing their handling of it. I found one that still had some in stock, though, and had it discounted on close-out, so I bought all they had - twenty bottles or so, which I jealously guard on the back of the top shelf of an upper kitchen cabinet. It is a much thicker sauce, very concentrated.

Marie Sharps "BEWARE comatose heat level" sauce is hotter yet. It is a nice sauce for dishes you want to warm up without changing the flavor of them. I have not seen this on the shelves anywhere around here, though. I got this bottle from my grandson, who bought it in Belize.

For everyday use, company, etc., I get a gallon of Franks from Sam's Club.