The Firearms Forum banner

Hot Sauces

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  artabr 
#1 · (Edited)
Favorite brands ?

Homemade recipes?

I like Hot Mama's brand HabaneroXXX, from Belize and contains only Red Habaneros, Carrots, Onions, Lime juice, Vinegar, Garlic and Salt. Fair amount of kick with Great flavor. I think this has a much better flavor than Dave's, Tabasco or some of the others I've tried.

I also like El Tapatio for it's flavor, although a bit milder. Great on eggs.

Never tried my own hot sauce; plenty of salsa and pico though.

Also went ahead and ordered some of this today : "Melinda's All Natural Habanero Ketchup". I will post up on how it tastes when it gets here.

#2 ·
Of the commonly available commercial brands I like Sriracha best. It's in the Asian section of the Super Wallyworlds around here.
A friend gave me a bottle of homemade sauce just today, it's a lime pepper sauce. I haven't tasted it yet.

#3 ·
Of the commonly available commercial brands I like Sriracha best. It's in the Asian section of the Super Wallyworlds around here.
A friend gave me a bottle of homemade sauce just today, it's a lime pepper sauce. I haven't tasted it yet.
I've had the Sriracha before, great on egg rolls and for dipping sauces. Great with Asian foods.
Let us know how the lime/pepper sauce tastes, if it's good, post up a recipe. If it's bad, send it to BU's wife and let her get rid of it; I'm sure she'll come up with something creative! :D:D

#5 ·
The hotter the better. The habanero sauce in the stores around here is pathetic. It might have a quarter of a pepper in the jar. Lame. My grandmother used to make this wicked green sauce when I was a kid. Back then it was too hot for me, but my Dad ate it up. There is a sauce I saw on the Internet made from Ghost peppers that looks good....I may try that. So far, I haven't found a production sauce that is hot enough for my tastes.

#6 ·
There's the classic Dave's Insanity, it has capsicum concentrate added.
A friend once gave me a vial of sauce that came in a miniature outhouse, called A** Blaster. Also contained capsicum concentrate, but tasty as well as hot.

#7 ·
All time favorite is A line of sauces called "Scorned Women" and they have a variety called "Sweet Magic" Not too hot and not too sweet. Great on Pizza and in chili etc. For a sweeter variety I like Georgia Peach and Vidallia Onion Hot Sauce. For a straight hot sauce I like Blair's "After Death" Won 1st place a few years ago in national competition for habanero based hot sauce. Very Hot!!

#10 ·
I love the flavor and sweetness of Tiger Sauce myself.It's great on meats,fish,and in soups.
Tiger Sauce is good. Not hot but it has a good flavor.
I'm surprised that you're finding it in Mass.

Art

#13 ·
Woolley

Try this... I like it real well for homemade hot sauce.

Crpdeth
Sounds great, soon as I can get some fresh peppers I will be making some up. Let ya know how it turns out when I do. :cool:

#14 ·
#15 ·
I, too, enjoy the Chipotle variety of Tabasco.

A hoter version of Chipotle is El Yucateco brand Chipotle hot sauce. GREAT on Mexican food, and adds a Mexican flavor to whatever you put it on. I found this one at Wally World, really liked it, but then discovered that the WW around here were discontinuing their handling of it. I found one that still had some in stock, though, and had it discounted on close-out, so I bought all they had - twenty bottles or so, which I jealously guard on the back of the top shelf of an upper kitchen cabinet. It is a much thicker sauce, very concentrated.

Marie Sharps "BEWARE comatose heat level" sauce is hotter yet. It is a nice sauce for dishes you want to warm up without changing the flavor of them. I have not seen this on the shelves anywhere around here, though. I got this bottle from my grandson, who bought it in Belize.

For everyday use, company, etc., I get a gallon of Franks from Sam's Club.

#16 ·
Marie Sharps "BEWARE comatose heat level" sauce is hotter yet. It is a nice sauce for dishes you want to warm up without changing the flavor of them. I have not seen this on the shelves anywhere around here, though. I got this bottle from my grandson, who bought it in Belize.

For everyday use, company, etc., I get a gallon of Franks from Sam's Club.
I also receive occasional Marie Sharps 5oz bottles from a friend in Belize, but I've also found an abundant supply on Ebay.

Walmart was supposed to start selling it, but I've not seen it on the shelves.

Crpdeth

#17 ·
I like the LA made hot sauces best, and the Crystal, or Bull brands are the ones I think taste best. Tabasco is hoter than either, but doesn't have anywhere near the flavor. For cooking I have been buying a brand from Wal Mart called Iguana Special Blend. I don't know how many flavors they have but I really like the Caynne based sauce that is mild. When I want to kick it up a bit I use the Habanero based sauce. The bottle says "Pretty Darn Hot", but it's not really that hot, it just has a good Habanero flavor.

#18 ·
I also receive occasional Marie Sharps 5oz bottles from a friend in Belize, but I've also found an abundant supply on Ebay.

Walmart was supposed to start selling it, but I've not seen it on the shelves.

Crpdeth
I have seen some Marie Sharps on the shelves, but not this particular one. Methinks it is a bit warm for the popular American taste -

Kinda like Italian food.
Most American Italian restaurants are afraid of garlic and other spices, and the result is a menu of bland items.
There are some exceptions, of course.
Romano's knows how to cook Italian -
Carabas does to -
Olive Garden has great service and nice atmosphere but what they serve is NOT true Italian.

When Judy cooks an Italian dish, she says if you can't smell the garlic out at the road (1/5 mile from the house), she has not put enough in it!

Oops - topic drift.

OK, I have made Horseradish sauce, and my own pepper seasoning.

I raised some variety (forget which!) of hot peppers. They were long and skinny, and red when ripe. I picked them and spread them on the window sills of the glassed-in porch until they were thoroughly dry, then crushed them in my hands into small pieces and seeds. Very easy to do, but a few minutes later my hands started burning like CRAZY! They turned beet-red and burned for HOURS in spite of waching and applying hand creme.

But that was a walk in the park compared to making my own horseradish sauce. I dug the fresh horseradish from my patch and washed it thoroughly, then cut it into reasonable sized pieces as some of these roots were VERY large. I set up my Vita-Mix machine, which is like a blender with nuclear power; this thing would puree a brick, and I HIGHLY recommend it for any task like this, grinding grain, making smoothies, etc. With the machine running on high, I fed the chunks of root into it through the hole in the lid one at a time. Every now and then you have to stop it and spatula the contents from the sides to the center to get it agitating again. I added just a BIT of lemon juice and a BIT of vinnegar as a preservative, and during the blending operation I had to add a little water now and then to get the consistency right. I can't give measurements for this, as it depends on the moisture content of the roots. These were pretty dry, and without adding liquid the result resembled crumbled toothpicks.

Making this sauce is not the least bit hard on your hands.
But the fumes!
The fumes are simply unimaginable from this operation.
The last time I made any up, I did three quarts and it almost killed me.
First your nose burns, then your eyes start burning.
I even tried goggles and a face particulate mask, and they did not help.
I opened all the windows and ran exhaust fans.
It did not help.
Along toward the end of the operation, I was running outside, washing my hands and face at the hose, and then taking a deep breath and running back into the kitchen to run the thing until I had to breath again.
By the very end, I was virtually blind, dropping roots into the machine by feel and judging the run time by the sound it made.

But oh my gosh the result is FABULOUS!!
A big dollip of this with Roast Beef is out of this world!
Some of it smeared on a Sausage Biscuit is wonderful!

But if you do try it, allow a couple hours recovery time afterward; you will NOT want to drive or even ride anywhere with your bloodshot eyes swelled shut and your nose constantly running.

#19 ·
I love the flavor and sweetness of Tiger Sauce myself.It's great on meats,fish,and in soups.
I'm with you on the Tiger sauce. I use it on most everything. Not very hot but just right. I cant take really hot sauce well. Once I tried a sauce called "Ass Reaper" and was farting fire for a week!:eek:

#21 ·
I have a lot of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauces and Dat'l Do It Hot Sauces. Have eaten a lot of old El Paso but what I miss not getting are some of the Mexican brands I used to be able to get when I was in New Mexico.

#25 ·
The thing I like about wasabi is, it brings tears to your eyes and fumigates your nasal passage.:eek:

Regular 'hot' sauce just burns your mouth.:p
I'm addicted to the wasabi burn. I've reached the point of just eating it straight. Like the hot mustard too.

My everyday hot sauce is the Sriracha. Then there are several habenero sauces I like. Tiger sauce is good for flavor. I use it in my BBQ sauce, with peppers for heat.

I like those little tiny black Thai peppers for flavor. No idea what they are called, but they are way hotter than habeneros. Ate one whole once and had an allergic reaction to it. Hurt for 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.