House guns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Boris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

How many keep a different gun for a house gun than their carry gun?

I keep my full size Glock 45 in a quick open electronic safe by the bed AND carry it when I leave the house. From time to time I do carry the XD9 and feel fine when I do so.

I was just wondering how many keep a larger size gun or different caliber for home use than carry use?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I keep a Beretta 92 hanging on the head of my bed. I only carry it to the range every once in a while to make sure it still goes bang. I keep a CZ-82 in the door pocket of my car and I carry another gun, which one just depends. It is usually the Ruger LCR, though.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

My current house gun is a Sig P239 in 357 Sig flavor. It is also doing duty as my carry weapon. I usually use my carry piece as the home gun. I also keep an 18 1/2" shotgun ready to go with #00 buck.
  4. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I carry a Kahr CW40 all of the time, but I also have a S&W686 loaded in the house. My wife won't carry out of the house and she dislikes autos. She does however love the 686, and it's a tack driver.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my house gun is a colt saa in 45 colt,loaded with mag-safe ammo my carry gun when not "working" changes between a colt diamondback 2.5 in barrel or one of my 9mm's. my working gun is a browning hp .
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i keep a loaded gun in every room of my house,not including a 12 gauge pump behind the master bedroom door.part of my reason is you never know where you will be in case you need one,the other part is as many guns as i have it helps to spread them out in case of a break in. old semperfi
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

My carry gun is always either on me, or within a couple of feet of me, but shotguns are my house guns otherwise.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

most of the time when i am awake i have a glock 22 on my side. if i am not wearing a gun i normally keep one within arms reach. i normally keep a smith 642 loaded all the time and a 12 gauge loaded with 00. sometimes i keep the sks loaded and some of the 22's loaded. just depends on the mood im in.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    38 spcl and 20 gauge in house, 357 or 45 ACP as car gun, 32 Win spcl outside the house but on the property.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I keep an M72 LAW in my kitchen... JK but that would be sweet.
  11. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

9mm in console of truck along with an sks folder. each car has a 38 snubbie. 45 GAP glock bedside. Police trade in 870 for home protection and a camp nine at the back door for varmets or whatever. Wife has a taurus judge on her side of the bed. 380 in the basement. my carry gun varies depending on time of year and where i am going.
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Got a Hi Standard 12ga pump under the bed. Its flanked by a S&W 586 .357 in a dresser. I usually carry a Sig 238 or a CZ83 at all times.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My house gun is which ever one i get to first... Prolly be my remy 870 12 ga. It stays loaded with '00'
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ah the 1911 of the 9mm round. Love me a BHP:cool:
  15. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

Like Oscarmayer, some people crossdress. Crossdressing refers, in THIS case, to shooters who switch back and forth from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols. Most of us do that depending on what we need the firearm to do for us. Most of the time I wear a Glock 22-C for CCW daylight operations. The .40 caliber round seems to be a good choice for me. Couple that with the fact I have 15 of them ready to go right now and an extra magazine with another 15 rounds and I think that's not a bad solution to curing the ills of some goblins when needed. Sometimes I CCW a Model 60 S&W revolver, around the house, and I carry at least one speedloader on me for reloading. So, depending on what I plan to do that day depends on which gun I carry on me.