House guns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Boris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

First, thank you for your service.

Second, not every trained dog is a killer. I have some personal experience with a very large service dog training kennel, and I know quite well what you can train a dog to do.
    Most police dogs won't kill a person. They don't attack everyone they see. They aren't tigers. On command, they will run down and tackle a particular person. They will then do their best to keep this person pinned face-down on the ground (which they do very effectively).

I have numerous times gone jogging with a police dog. Until it heard the appropriate command, that dog was as friendly as any, and he enjoyed the exercise of running next to us (off leash) in a well-populated area without any thought of leaving our side. But as soon as his handler said a particular phrase, this dog had a mission, and he effectively carried that mission out.
  2. CampingJosh

It's quite easy to get into my house. I have glass windows, and there are rocks in my yard. Anyone over about 3 years old can "add the two together" and create an opening into my house.
    I don't always keep all my firearms locked up. I don't always keep my crossbow, or my kitchen knives, or my softball bat, or my golf clubs locked up, either. I don't keep my truck keys hidden away in a vault. All of these items have great potential to cause serious injury or death when misused.

I cannot and will not pretend to take responsibility for other people's misuse while they are illegally inside my home. When kids are coming over, sure, I put them all away in the safe.

Do not call me stupid because I choose to leave potentially dangerous items accessible to anyone inside my house. I'm quite certain you do the same thing, whether you see it or not.
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Disregarding what the brand new member has to say.....:rolleyes:.....I have not locked up my house gun, ever. It's of absolute no use to you when someone is breaking into your house in the middle of the night, and you have a key to find and fumble with in the dark, or a combination to remember at a moment when time is off the essence.
    My children were raised to not touch them, they were kept in places that were out of sight, but easy for me to access. When it was a revolver, all 6 were loaded, when it was a 1911, the chamber was left empty, but there was a full magazine in the handle.
    When family with small children came to visit, the bedroom door was closed, and access to our bedroom denied to anyone but my wife and myself, but there was a loaded gun in there all the time, my wife and I knew where it was, but no one else did....

There are safe and responsible ways to keep a gun in the house for home protection without having them under lock and key. It doesn't make anyone dangerous or stupid so long as they are intelligent about how they keep it, where they keep it, who knows about it, and who has access to it.......

To answer the original post here....we do not as yet have CCW in New Jersey, so I don't have a carry weapon, but my house is protected with a 1911 at the moment, that may soon change to a 4" GP-100.....
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. CampingJosh

I hope you're adding to the 1911, not getting rid of it in favor of the GP-100. I wouldn't wish the loss of a fine firearm on anyone. :D
  5. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Both in my place. One for if someone wakes me up, one for all other occasions. Nor are they locked up, that just makes them harder to access on need, and no, I don't carry inside since one or the other is mere steps away (the house isn't all that big.) When I leave the property, one goes with me, sorta depending on my mood. And yes, I practice with both.
  6. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Wife carries a Kimber Crimson Ultra in .45. I carry a Kimber RCP with a crimson trace.

Nightstand guns are, wife-FNP45 w/Streamlight TLR II, Mine is a FNP45 w/ a TLR I.

SHTF, guns are in a pushbutton safe, all loaded. 1. is a mossberg 500, 8 round cap with speedfeed stock. 000 S&B compliments the load topped off with an aimpoint red dot.

#2 go to gun is my 16" AR, 2-20 rounders strapped together with first one hornady TAP, next one is federal XM198. Topped off with a surefire light and a comp M2.

There are a few other guns scattered throughout, but only when I'm home. Otherwise, what doesn't get carried, gets locked up.
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Absolutely Josh, my Limited Edition Kimber Target Match is a life long keeper, I'd sell off the wife before letting that gun go.....:D

Since it is my match pistol, I'd prefer to save it for match shooting only, I'm getting the GP-100 for general range shooting, steel plates, working with my reloads....etc...etc...
    I'll get a box of factory .38 +P so it can also replace the 1911 as my house gun.....

Does anybody know if Federal makes their expanding FMJ in .38 +P.....?
  8. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

Moss 500 18"bbl. home. Carry PT145 or Mod 60 S&W.
  9. CampingJosh

Federal Hydrashocks are available in both .38 Special +P and a "reduced recoil" .38 Special. I really like the latter, but I'll admit that I haven't ever tried the +P.
  10. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

For carry it's either my Bersa Thunder .380 or my Ruger SR9c 9mm.

Home Defense is my Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm --- It is my most utterly reliable gun, holds 13 rounds, nice trigger, and easy to shoot.