Houston I think I have a PROBLEM

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by v8rx7guy, Aug 26, 2012.

1. v8rx7guy

v8rx7guy New Member

so im getting ready to reload some 223 im fairly new to reloading...

I have a hornady lock n load progressive press which i have reloaded about 500 7mm rem mag rounds with that have all been flawlessly and accuratly reloaded.

However im trying to reload 223 atm and cant for the life of me figure out why alot of my unsized necks on my brass are .245-.247.. in the hornady handbook of cartridge reloading 8th edition it shows me that the brass neck should be .253. i dont know where I messed up, Im thinking it probly happen when i removed the primers using the press... that it possibly shrunk the neck sizes and i dont know if its reverseable. but if not i just will have to throw away 1500 223 brass and take this as a lesson learned.

rcbs small base die set is what im using...

any and all help would be great :)
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

You should be fine. My sized 223 necks measure about .245-.247 as well. If it is new, once fired or recently trimmed, make sure you chamfer the inside of the neck.

If it is once fired Military/Surplus make sure you remove the primer crimp.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You're fine.

That .253" dimension you mention is the maximum case neck diameter of a loaded cartridge according to the SAAMI spec sheet.
    You don't want to exceed .253" after you've resized the case and have a bullet seated.
    If it is larger, then you will have to turn the neck down to thin the wall...but that extra brass had to flow into the neck from somewhere so it's probably time to discard that case anyway.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If its your intention to keep the necks unsized then you will need a universal decapper die. decapping with the FL die will size the cases.

V8 in a RX7 eh?? Got any pics??
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey v8rx7guy, welcome to the forum from across the pond. You have just found out one of the great points of this place. People here know what they are talking about, and are happy to pass on their knowledge, wisdom, and experience.

Around here there are no dumb questions. When it comes to reloading the only dumb question is the one not asked. Good answers from here can avert bad problems out on the range.

Ask away, and give us a range report when you get a chance.
  6. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Welcome to the forum v8rx7, I would also love to see some pics of that v8 stuffed into a rx7