How about a Makarov?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by potato_sniper, Oct 31, 2003.

1. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

Since we are talking about the FEG PA-63 I will repost my message of about a year ago:

I ringed the barrel of my FEG PA-63 (makarov). I keeped the gun in my car (lots of thermal cycles in Florida) for more than a year. When I went to the range I used spare mags with target ammo. One day I decided to use the good stuff (CorBon) that was in the gun. The first shot was kind of funny but made a hole in the paper so I went for the second. Loud bang, really hurt and gun almost fell out of my hand. On checking the ammo left in clip, I noticed the hollow points were somewhat deformed (no longer round holes) and some rounds were actually further depressed into the shell. Not exactly sure what caused the damage to the ammo. Needless to say, I have discontinued the practice of using that type of ammo in vehicle (note to self: don't use so much gun oil). The barrel was ringed just where the slide goes back to its full action, so basiclly the gun was functional but I could not get the slide back far enough to remove it. I fixed the gun by carefully cutting the barrel off twice. Once to get the slide off and then cutting again to cut the bulge off. Then I drove out the stub of the barrel and replaced the barrel. Gun now works fine. I now use military sealed ball ammo in that gun and have not had any further problems. Tough little gun.

By the way it is still one of my carry guns. I use a fanny pack (it's Florida, it's still in the low 90's, not a lot of clothes to hide it under and I just look like a tourist) made by StelthPack.
  2. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

Might be a good idea not to leave a mag. loaded for a year? Must admit I don't always change as often as I should, But that's a LONG time. Does yours have that heavy D/A trigger pull?
  3. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

I have never measured the trigger pull, but is is fairly heavy in double action. Never thought that to be a problem for self defense purposes.

Further speculation on the ammo problem: I think excessive oil (from cleaning and oiling the gun after shooting) may have built up in the unused mag. I think the oil soaked in through the hollow point Corbons and had an effect on the lead and maybe the powder. That plus the major thermal cycles in the car in the hot Florida sun (probably 140 degrees) and then the cooler (mid 70's) nights. But this is just speculation.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i suspect you're correct, the oil "soaked" into the rounds and you had a squib. you're damn lucky the second round pushed the first round that i firmly believe didnt make it out of the barrel out completely. you could of blown up the gun and hurt yourself. i was once given a paper bag full of 38 specials, they were starting to turn green i foolishly went to fire them anyway. after a few touched off ok i noticed a sharp decrease in kick and sound, but failed to look into the cause, i touched off the next round and the blast from around the cylinder gap was blinding . i then stopped and looked the situation over. the first round with the reduced kick and sound was a squib and it didnt make it out of the barrel the second round didnt either since it's path was blocked by the first round, i too was lucky the damn thing didnt blow up but i ruined the barrel , thank god it was a dan wesson and all i had to do was toss the 8in barrel out and only use the 4 and 6 in barrels i had remaining.
  5. stetson

stetson New Member

Get this I traded an my fathers hipoint 45 even for a knock off.The guy at the gun show said he couldn't keep them on the table fast enought especially the 45's.
    I'd spend another hundred and that would put you in a real good selection of pistols and revolvers.Just wanted
    to mention I gave him that pistol on his 72 birthday and we lost him on just befor his 75 birthday.I knew
    he never shoot it but he always wanted a 45 so I made sure he got one.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Interesting mine is a Russian Mak and I have never experienced a single jam. The BBL looks shot out but it still throws them in there at 25 yards as well. I don't use it for a carry weapon but the reliability and accuracy make it doable.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've been thinking about a tokorev , if i spelled it right, seen one for 165, just to play with, but anyways, this thread is almost 10 years old...
  8. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

I've got 2 of them. They are fun and it's a powerful, cheap round to buy. Are you looking at tt-33's? That would be a good price. I can't imagine a CZ-52 going for that. Don't know about other guns in 7.62 x 25- there may be something??
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

john : jump on the tokarev, it's a sleeper. well made and fun to shoot. ammo is still cheap and you'll be shocked at it's performance. though it shoots a lighter bullet 80 gr it move about 1400 feet per second with around 400 ft lbs of energy. there is a youtube video showing a few rounds going through a brake drum, :eek:. since i bought my model 57 ( t-33) clone from yogo... i've put 2000 rounds through it without a hitch. the only draw back is the m-57 has a 9 round magazine compared the rest of them made in various other countrys having an 8 round magazine , the extra round is nice but extra mags are impossible to find.
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

The more I find out about Tokarevs the more I want one.
    Cheap, reliable, effective. Three things I value if they're all in one package.
  11. obxned

obxned New Member

The PA-63 is a very good gun, and if it is in good condition with the extra mags, then $200 is a pretty fair price.

Don't worry about shooting steel cased ammo in it. I have owned and shot various Soviet-blok pistols in 9mmMAK, and every one of them seemed to love it. I usually shoot the Silver Bear JHPs.

As far as the recoil, there is an easy and inexpensive fix. Wolff Gun Springs sells repacement recoil springs which will tame it. You may also want to replace the mainspring - you'll get a much better double-action trigger pull. Both springs will only cost a few bucks.

Ignore the nay-sayers. You have a well built, reliable, and accurate pistol that is compact enough and light enough to be a joy to carry, and the 9mmMak is a step up from the 380ACP usually used in pistols of this size.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009