The Firearms Forum banner

how accurate is your 10-22?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  todd51 
#1 ·
I want to know what group sizes you guys are getting out of your stock Ruger 10-22

what ammo are you getting the best results with?

I like the Winchester Western its 1280 FPS and 35 gr
I like the copper jacket as it doesn't get lead all over your fingers or lead up the bore as bad

I have alot of Federal bulk 22lr and I just consider it good for the kids plinking
CCI 22lr is very good I think, but it is priced higher also

they have a new quiet 22lr, it won't cycle the auto loader, but it is great for sniping squirrels in town

most of my 10-22s are carbines and I am getting about a 1.25-1.5 inch group with optics at 50 yards

those of you with heavy barrels chime in also

#2 ·
db, I only have one 10/22 and it is the bull barreled target model. I have added in the last year a Volquartsen trigger but otherwise it is pretty much stock. It shot well with CCI Mini Mag and CCI Std Vel. both in 40gr. but the biggest improvement came when I tried Wolf Match Target 40gr. ammo. Granted that ammo is pricier but the group sizes dropped by almost half. This is my low cost benchrester.

Attachments

#3 ·
Todd that is a great group.

I have 2 10-22's both are stock. The best either will do at 50 yds is 1 1/2. I won't waste high dollar ammo on either one of them. They are good for plinking with cheap ammo.

If I want to shoot tight groups, I go to the CZ's

#4 · (Edited)
"they have a new quiet 22lr, it won't cycle the auto loader, but it is great for sniping squirrels in town"
Are you speaking of Colibri's ? Super Colibri's ?

I have Volquartsen modded 10/22's and Tony Kidd's and Randys'.....
I really don't remember exactly what the 'stock' ones were like,
except they were very acceptable.
So are my Marlin 60's.....
but definitely the best out of the box is my Marlin 39D

Ammo is KEY to/for any .22lr and it's accuracy, bar none !
Plinking, ammo cost, rifle mods, manufacturer, etc. is what
you and your wallet are willing to let go of when you speak
of accuracy and rimfire ammo............
you never know what the round is made of, therefore you never
know what you will be shooting........even with a box of 50rnds
for $16...........how could you ?
So, the answer would be....do the most to be prepared on your end,
and hope and pray they [ammo mfg] do the best on their end.
Answer to your [thread question]......ALL of my 10/22's are very,very,
very accurate, compared to most others that I shoot against in
competition or for fun......and friends have 10/22's that are far
superior to mine.......
On another note, for comparison, the rounds I load myself for the
center fire .22's beat the dog-s**t out of accuracy of any 10/22.
I hope this confuses you royally, although it was not my intent. :)
Should YOU buy/purchase a Ruger 10/22 [carbine or Charger]
on the merit of the gun itself.....???? [was that the ? ][info for those that come]
Why, HELL YEAH......!!!!!!!!!!
And you can do so much with one [$$$]......to the point
that it ain't even a 10/22 anymore ! :)

#5 ·
I put a new stock on mine with a nice little tasco adjustable scope. I use Winchester Wildcat(feeds very reliably). I don't have a group, however, my 14 year old and 8 year old, own aluminum cans at 50-75 yards. That's the most important for me with the 10/22- reliable feeding and firing. Rem thunderbolts jam every 20 shots or so. Federal's are alittle better. But Wildcats are the best I've come across so far.

#9 ·
db, I only have one 10/22 and it is the bull barreled target model. I have added in the last year a Volquartsen trigger but otherwise it is pretty much stock. It shot well with CCI Mini Mag and CCI Std Vel. both in 40gr. but the biggest improvement came when I tried Wolf Match Target 40gr. ammo. Granted that ammo is pricier but the group sizes dropped by almost half. This is my low cost benchrester.
wow, I'm impressed

I saw that very same heavy barrel gun with a nice Bushnell 3x9 on it for $299 at a pawn shop here.

I have been thinking of making an offer on it

#10 ·
I don't think you would be sorry you got that rifle dp. As Ozo says you can go as far as you want tricking out a 10/22 and while those Volq., Kidd, Clark and others make my mouth water I am more into handguns so this will probably be it for me. But on a good day it can hang in there and not embarrass me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.