How bout a nice cup of lies this morning? [c&p]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geezler, Jan 9, 2005.

1. geezler

geezler New Member

(CBS) A military rifle capable of piercing armor from over a mile away is too readily available to civilians, and could end up in terrorists' hands, say critics of the .50-caliber weapon that is for sale in 49 states.

Correspondent Ed Bradley reports on the big gun that was recently banned in California for 60 Minutes, Sunday, Jan. 9, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"I think it's a great thing on the battlefield," says one of the weapon's chief critics, Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C.

"I just think there are certain occasions when we say in our society, this product is such a threat to our health and safety...our national security, we will not allow it," he tells Bradley. "Thousands have been sold to civilians and, as far as federal gun laws go, it is treated like any other hunting rifle."

Diaz argues the rifle can be used to pierce and blow up chemical storage tanks from afar, affording the terrorist an easy escape.

"The point is you can plan your attack from a longer distance. It's the combination of range and power," says Diaz, who fears there will be deadly results from such an attack on containers of toxic or flammable materials.

Diaz also fears the powerful gun could be used to shoot at aircraft that are landing or taking off. The potential danger the .50-caliber poses to aircraft taxiing on the runway or parked at the gate was outlined in a Rand Corporation report on terror vulnerabilities at Los Angeles International Airport. The report saw no way to protect the planes.

The gun's inventor, who sells the weapons to civilians for sport and to armies around the world, says Diaz could be right, but is being reckless.

"Yes it could be [used in those terrorist scenarios], but it's also seeming, begging someone to commit this crime. 'Somebody please commit this crime so I can validate what I've been saying so long,'" says Ronnie Barrett of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing.

"It's kind of a classic gun industry argument," says Diaz. "First they deny there's a problem and then when something happens, they point the finger at people who tried to warn about it."

Barrett points out that the gun's extreme size and weight make it an unlikely weapon of choice for criminals.

"As far as the abuses with .50-caliber rifles, they are so few, if any, that all other calibers ought to aspire to have as good a record as it has," he tells Bradley. "It's a target rifle. It's a toy...a high-end adult recreational toy."

As for terrorism, Barrett says, "Any rifle in the hands of a terrorist is a deadly weapon."

Diaz is hoping Congress will pass a law requiring that the names of owners of .50-caliber rifles be kept on file. {I thought form 4473 did this quite well}

"No one in the U.S. government knows who has these guns," he says.
    {with the exception of the ATFE}
  2. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

thats on tonight, 7pm eastern.

expect to hear/see:

"50 cals can take down a 747 five miles away"
    "50 cals can shatter an armored limo"
    "50 cals can go through a steel wall a foot thick 10 miles away"
    "50 cals are a favorite tool among criminals and terrorists"
    "bin laden bought a few 50 cals from the US"

etc etc, more liberal BS, etc etc.

I'll be watching to see what Ronnie Barrett has to say.. hes a good guy, he refuses to service rifles of police stations that are anti-2nd.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

And of course, if we outlaw these guns, the terrorists will shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh, well, I guess we can't get one since it's against the law." [/sarcasm]
  4. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    How about all of us watch 60 Minutes this evening, and send them a not so nice letter/email noting each and every lie they spout?

If nothing else, we'll let them know that at least some segment of the population doesn't swallow their liberal, anti-gun swill!

John
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If I were to watch a show like this, SoMo could very easily end up a widow. Hence I won't do it!
  6. richbug

richbug New Member

I guess if they ban 50's, I will have to get a 20mm.
  7. geezler

geezler New Member

There you go! :D :D :D :D
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Oh well, Who makes a .49 BMG? ;) :D
  9. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

I hope someone makes one of those. How about a .499999 BMG? And then we can shove it in Feinstein's face.
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

It wasn't her face I had in mind! :eek: :D
  11. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

SeeBS? Sixty Lies? C'mon guys, this group has been on the lying hoplophobe bandwagon for *decades!* Remember the Fair Chase BS "documentary" they did in the early 1970s? Fabricated statements and scenes? Remember the "expose" on gun shows circa 1980? More fabricated statements and staged "evidence?" Mikey Pig Moore has done nothing but copy their style of "journalism." They are cut from the same fabrication of intentional distortion and misrepresentation. Edward R. Murrow wouldn't recognize them.