How can something so uniform feel so different?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by glocknut, Jun 17, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Its amazing how the weight and balance of one 1911 can be so different than another 1911...
    Everything makes a slight difference. The texture of the grips that the gun comes with changes the feel. And sometimes those grips can be a little fatter than others... The local gunshop has several Sig Sauer 1911s in stock. Every time i pick one up and get it in my hand it just feels wrong somehow. Smoother than normal grips that are "i think" a little fatter grips...at least they look like they are? The balance feels wrong...i don't know if its because of the smooth grips or the extra size of the grip making the balance feel different... i dunno.

I also think those grip thickness differences make a difference in how quick i can line the sights up when taking aim. I can line up the sights on both colts and the kimber rather quickly. The lightweight commander just a little slower than the heavier commander and kimber...i think because they are heavier. Light weight seems to bother me when it comes to lining up sights and how well i can hold them on target. I have the shakes from time to time which makes for a hard time shooting. They have a springfield armory at the gunshop that is so light in weight that if i'm shaking when i am holding it the sights are all over the place. Its a nice gun... i think its an "operator" model. I'd love to have it but its too darn light for me! I need the extra weight to control the hand shaking.

And you know what ticks me off the most about this whole business of having involuntary shakes is? Its only in my right hand...and i am right handed. Why couldn't it be my left hand that has the tremors and not the right hand....? Cripes that's irritating.

Well anyways.... does anyone else notice this much of a dramatic differences from one 1911 to another 1911? Or is it just me??

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I do. I have several, and I can tell you which one it is, being handed one blindfolded. I've got several N frame Smith and Wessons (and I love N frame Smiths) but I couldn't tell you which one I was holding without looking at it. But I can tell which 1911 it is.
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh, that's good to know. I was concerned that maybe i was too picky or something.

Those grips are not all exactly the same...even though they look like they're interchangable...

mike
    gn
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Mike
    You certainly go into great detail. After reading this and your post on the French fries I wonder how you would describe caressing the female form.
    :D:D:D:D:D

Seriously

back when i did have guns, cause you know i dont have any anymore, (cause their gona want them back anyway),:D I was kind of fond of my Kimber with the Crimson Trace wrap.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I thought he was comparing Women to Guns...:confused:

I like it all....:D
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Naw... my tongue is WAAAY to sore for that... but then again...THAT MIGHT HEAL IT UP?!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Hit that one out of the park.... :cool:

ahhh...you're bluffing.... :D

I have great hopes for the Kimber.... i NEED better glasses though.

If that's the case...then i LOVE BLACK CHICKS!!!!!! LOL

....and Chinese chicks....and Austrian chicks...and even Aussie chicks.....

Instead of running down to the valley...I WALKED down there and bought them all. My version of the movie colors. lol

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

it is odd how just a change in grips can change the whole feel of a 1911. i've fallen in love with aluma-grips the thin style and it makes the gun feel completely different.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Got Pics?

mike
    gn
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I've noticed the same.

On grips, I hate when I see some grips that look so good, but then I install them and they feel a bit wrong. Now, after awhile that feeling can kind of acclimatize itself away...you get used to something. But if I handle one that fits it starts all over when I pick that one back up. Someone recommended modular rubber grips to me, and since I like rubber grips on a compact revolver, I gave it a shot; but they ain't for me...I guess I'd rather feel checkering than big groves on a 1911.

I agree about weight. I have a really good natural point of aim with the government model. It's a big reason why I can still consistently run 7 or 10 round strings inside an egg sized group at 15 meters with low profile sights. The weight just keeps the front sight dropping back with perfect rhythm. I'm thinking within a few years or a decade I'll be losing that ability some, as my coordination is already less than it was just 5 years ago. That natural point of aim is an underestimated thing at any rate. I can't shoot nearly as tight with an alloy or Commander model.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Indeed it does! Eyesight goes gradually...

lets see if anyone makes fun of me on that one? :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

*takes a deep breath* meh....

:p:p:p

*runs away* You've been looking at too many nudie pictures *ducks and hides*:p:p:D:D
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I guess it depends what kinda X's you're squinting at every day.:) Contrasting R-rings to X-rated right :):)
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i do not have pictures of the aluma-grips but you can check out their web site www.alumagrips.com lots of styles and different patterns. soon i hope to be able to post pictures right now i have a flaw in the system that doesn't allow me to do that...
  14. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Grips? Can be a big issue. Whether for concealment of ease of carry 'thin' in my book is in. Anyway, your hand should be only applying pressure on the front and back straps. (That's how I was taught). We once made some for a Beretta 92C out of thin wood board. Not much thicker than card. Cut to the same profile as the plastic grip, so as to protect from debris but wafer thin. We also changed the grip screws to suite.

I guess an 'economy job' could be achieved by taking off the grips and wrapping tape around the handle (Perhaps the type used for tennis racquets). Though I would cut some card to face off the sticky inside of the tape, bit of a fluff and bits magnet otherwise.

I actually have the 'ultra thin' grips we made way back when, I added a photo below...(The photo show the back, or inside, the outer is black).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  15. The thinner grip idea is basically a good one, Tranter. I have relatively small hands, and with a Beretta Mod 92, the grip is a bit on the thick side for me. I can shoot it well, but it still feels thicker than I find comfortable.

I did one thing with the grips on my Colt Commander though that I've found helped me to shoot it more accurately and much more comfortably. The gun came, of course, with the standard Colt checkered walnut grips. To each his own, but I've always found the coarse checkering on 1911 grips to be extremely uncomfortable in use. They tend to chew up my hand. Anyway, I dismounted the grips, carefully sanded them smooth, then refinished them with Tru Oil. For me, that worked beautifully.