How come there are no RN .40 S&W bullets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 6, 2012.

1. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I was trying to buy .40 S&W bullets and I prefer a round nose because I think it has better aerodynamics, but I can't find them anywhere. The only 40s I can find have either a flat point or flat nose. Anybody know why?
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

3. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I should have specified better. I'm looking for a 180 gr. RN plated or jacket. I might settle for 165 gr but 155 is a little too light for me.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Many years back, some bullet-type scientists noticed that 9mm Luger was inaccurate as hell. At least, it was with standard RN ball ammo. For some reason it was quite accurate with most JHP.

Why would this be, they wondered. Could it be the shape of the bullet made the difference? Because, even though there WERE RN hollow points, most 9mm JHPs looked quite a bit like this.

[​IMG]

So they made up some solid bullets, with that shape. Low and behold, they also were accurate.

Thus was born the "Truncated Cone" bullet shape.

They found that FMJ TC bullets fed just as well, in un-modified guns, as FMJ RN, and were more accurate.

This discovery was made BEFORE the 40 S&W was invented. Since RN bullets are, compared to TC bullets, extremely inaccurate, why would they bother even making RN for this new round. So, pretty much, they don't.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a truncated conical design. It increases meplat diameter and terminal perfirmance of the round. Loaded with round nose projectiles im afraid the .40 is just a slightly beefier 9mm.

Load a TC in a .45ACP and youve got one hell of a manstopper round.
  6. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

That is why this site is such an asset to all us guys who have questions. The wealth of knowledge from its members is really appreciated. Keep up the good work. JohnnyBocce
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

:D I do.
    I call them my social rounds:eek:
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I liek the golden sabers for the .45 ACP. they look like lugnuts.