How dangerous?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Jan 23, 2010.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I left the local gun show this afternoon and saw a pickup truck about 2 blocks down the road that had pulled over to the side. As I got closer I saw he was picking up 12ga shot shells from the street. Obviously, he had bought some at the show, put them on the bed cover he had on his truck, forgot about them, and had driven two blocks before they fell off and scattered all over a busy road.
    Traffic wasn't slowing down for him, so he was trying to get them in a steady stream of cars going by. I'm sure some shells were run over.
    I wondered if it was possible to hit the primer just right and have a 12ga shell go off under your wheel That would definitely make an impression on the driver!
    I felt bad for the guy. I'm sure I would have heard it on the news if something had happened, if it was even possible.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    with nothing to contain powder blast it could just as easily rupture out the side,also with no way for pressure to build up it is highly doubtful it would be very dangerous to anyone fairly close.shotgun primers like any primers will take a lot of punishment b-4 they become volitile.i doubt any would go off by running over with a soft tire. old semperfi
  3. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

I'm thinking that most of the shell would be smashed an instant before the primer was hit, leaving no powder to ignite. Worst thing would probably be the primer firing which probably wouldn't damage a tire. Just speculating though :)
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

+1
  5. Rneck

Rneck New Member

A few years ago, a friend and I dragged three deer out to the truck. when we returned to the truck with the fourth deer, several guys had stopped to take a look. one of these guys leaned his shotgun against the bumper of his truck and while we were talking, it fell over, and discharged into the gravel of the road. A piece of gravel or something hit the primer of a buckshot shell in my buddies pocket. that's when all h broke loose. three of the onlookers were hit with buckshot,two seriously wounded and hospitalized for several days. One with minor injuries to his hand. My buddies pants were blown apart from the waist to the knees. Purpled him up really bad. Don't know if it was a fluke but I and several others can say without doubt shotshells can explode with severe consequences