How did your' garden produce this year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kentuckyrifleman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Just wondering how your' garden did this year? I put in about 30 tomato plant and we did grate with them. My wife and me are busy freezing them every day now so we can use them all winter. They get soft but are, still good for sauce/soup/stew and the like. Zuchinis did okay but stopped producing early and I dont' know why. Peppers and cucumbers did good but potatoes and onions were a mess. I think maybe cause I didnt' water enough? Damn it was a hot summer. Thanks for advice I got on TFF about hairloom tomatoes, your right guys, they are better and i like being able to save my own seeds (specially if the SHTF!!) and save $.
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

We have had plenty of corn - still have corn 'almost' ready to harvest. All 400 stalks produced. Peas did very well as did potatoes, carrots and turnips. Tomatoes did OK - having to harvest early while still green due to frosts starting to set in. Had lettuce all summer. Spinach and cabbage did excellent. Had more radishes than we could eat. Only got one watermelon - 2 more may make it. We didn't get many beans and none of the bell peppers, only about half a dozen cucumbers grew. Plenty of kohlrabi. Still have some things to harvest besides the rest of the corn but, all in all a most productive growing season. We used around a 1/3rd of an acre for a garden - more of a field than a garden :)
  3. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

I just had some tomatos this year and they did not do well. They never got much bigger than golf balls and turned red. They were B***** seedlings from a well known box store. I hear bad things about them like being genetically altered so their seeds will be sterile, so I never tried to save any.

I will try a different source next year.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Our garden did great. We didn't plant anything and I'll be, it looks like pumpkins came up.
  5. Clipper

Clipper Member

I am almost ready to harvest my second planting of blackeyes, and still have bunches of tomatoes. I only planted 8 plants this year, but I have a dozen or more volunteer plants that reseed every year and out produce the "new" plants. Peppers did very well, poblanos and serranos do the best. We canned almost 3 cases of salsa, and will probably can one more case before the tomatoes quit bearing. Melons are doing fine, squash and cukes are still keeping us in vittles.

Fresh tomatoes certainly make a grand BLT!
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Over the last 5 years I have grown gardens for 4 of them. I gave up this last year. I have as much success as obzo does lowering the unemployment rate. The thing that gets me is the lack of water and high heat down here. So i gave up and now raise animals that eat the dead blasted grass i hate to cut.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Yukon Golds, not so good; no rain in May & JUne this year. Cabbage, Brocculli, Carrots, yellow beans, iceberg, did great. Some snow around and still have things to pick.
  8. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

The tomato plants and peppers did great. The pepper plants are still producing and some of them have new buds. We have been blanching and freezing them. I cant remember a year where the peppers did so well, they like the hot weather.

Our zuchinis stopped producing early as well. Onions never came up at all, and I thought the potatoes were doing fine, but when I dug them up, I only had about three very small ones for each plant! I don't think I will bother with the potatoes next year.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Pear trees did well, but the apple trees produced almost nothing. Got maybe 10 apples total.
  10. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

everything did great except the cabbage
  11. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Yeah, I cant' ever seem to grow potatoes or onions. Cant' be that hard but I never can. We sure love homegrown tomatos.
  12. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

with no real rain since may, beans and peas were terrible, zucchini were below average and cucumbers didn't make it at all. Tomatoes are producing enough to keep up with me eating them and that's about it. Hopefully next year will be better.
  13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

started off good until spider mites took over the tomatoes and peppers. ripped them all out and going for the fall crop
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Drought and heat killed me. I have some squash, sweet potatoes and tomatoes but not as much as I should have, a very few onions and my peas went belly up after about a 10 day stretch of 100+ temps in spite of heavy watering.
  15. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Tomatoes rocked. Jalapenos, did so good. So many I couldn't keep up with them. Next year I'm gonna try and pickle them. Still trying to figure out how to get the wifes cucumbers to produce
  16. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

as long as the piggly wiggly is up the road ill be good
  17. Clipper

Clipper Member

Appliance dude needs to turn his excess tomatoes and peppers into quality salsa! Of course you may have to buy the onions, but you have most of the ingredients now. Just about any food chopper/grinder will work, I use the big one from Gander Mt, and I do add a touch of cilantro.

Tinker with the mix until you get one you like then go for it.
  18. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

my strawberrys gave up the ghost.:(
    My 15 year old acadently mowing them down, over and over. might have had somthing to do with it.:mad:
  19. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

The record breaking hot and dry weather across the board noticeably reduced the yields on our beans, peppers and most of our tomatoes. There were two seriously notable exceptions. The kind of tomato like tomatilloes went absolutely nuts and are still going strong. Perhaps that's due in part to the tomatillo's southwestern genetic heritage. The other thing that was a real sleeper new plant for us this year was the package of six heritage Hawaiian red currant tomato plants that we put in. They climbed up and over everything near the garden and produced a raft of incredibly super sweet, salad or snack, small marble sized tomatoes. They are still going strong. These little marble sized beauties got rave reviews from all who tasted them and there were numerous assurances that they will be grown by many, many folks around here next year. Highly recommended.
  20. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

Garden! At our Illinois house, we don't even have a lawn anymore. The good news is, you don't have to mow brown grass.