How did your' garden produce this year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kentuckyrifleman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Had a great harvest this year. I'm just sad that I didn't get a fall crop in.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

pretty good year despite the heat and drought, went 50 days without rain. Most stuff did well: peas, cabbage, broccoli, garlic, carrots, onions, eggplant, peppers, beans even the corn looks like it is going to produce yet. Tomatoes didn't do so well though, very low yield and they're not ripening. And of course a million baseball bat zucchinis and some squash. pumpkins are coming in too. Lettuce and swiss chard is a given.

Strawberries went insane this year, tons and tons of 'em, nice big ones too! late june into July, they produced for over a month.

Went out a couple weekends ago to a blackberry patch I found while mountain biking, took family and one of my friends along and we picked for 3 hours, we came away with a good solid 3 gallons of berries to put in the freezer for jam later.
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

Rain? Whazzat?

My blackeyes did exceptionally well, froze all we could and gave away some extra. Tomatoes did OK but weren't as big this year. Corn was stunted, short ears but what we did get was sweet. Kentucky Wonder beans did very well, many pickings from 30 feet of plants. Watermelon....well, nothing at all. Summer squash did really well and we didn't have any squash bugs this year. Radishes were thin, likely due to little rain and it's too expensive to water with city water.

aa1911, we just returned from two weeks in Washington and Oregon. I've never seen so many blackberry vines, all over the place, and all full of berries. It was unbelievable. Wish I had had time and a bucket. :D
  4. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

Tomatoes did pretty well, squash only fair, beets did well, pumpkins, well they're there but not ripe yet, lettuce did well, planted a fall planting of that, carrots and more beets, which did pretty well over the summer, broccoli did well, cucumbers did well, put of a lot of pickles. Egg plants, planted in April, did nothing all summer, and are putting out eggplants now. Can't figure that one out. Apples did nothing this year, blueberries were scarce, but raspberries were abundant.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

nice, yeah there's been a bumper crop of blackberries this year, they usually do very well anyway. The patch I found was about 2 acres solid bushes, was insane; loaded down with berries, very good tasting too, just seedy.
  6. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cucumbers, peppers, squash and okra did great. Tomato's, lettuce & beans not so good. Corn didn't get a good start & chard go eat up by worms.
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Here in the south end of the Great Dismal swamp (NC). I had an abundance of grannysmith apples and pickling cucubers. My small melons were a bust. The birds got most of the grapes.