How do I crimp a 30/30 bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Nachoman65, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Nachoman65

Nachoman65 New Member

I'm still a little new to reloading. I've been able to crimp a 44 mag but cannot crimp a 30/30 for nothing. It maybe because its been a year since I was told how to crimp the 44 and now I just can't get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum friend. How about describing your reloading set up. What brand of dies do you use, do you single stage, turret or progressive. Give us an idea how much is on your plate and we'll help you figure out how to eat it;)

My preferred weapon for crimping rifle cartridges is the LEE factory crimp die...
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

With most die sets crimping is controlled by how far the bottom of the die is from the shell holder.

Run your ram all the way up and screw the die in until the bottom touches the shell holder. Then back it off the thickness of a US nickel. This should crimp the case into the bullet when you reload.

Remember, you need to line up the bullet's cannelure (crimping groove) with the mouth of the case. This is often a trial-and-error exercise. Having a round of factory ammo can be a big help in setting up the dies for seating and crimping.
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Actually, that is opposite of my instructions.

"Screw the Lee Factory Crimp Die in to touch the shell holder plus 1/2 turn more. Adjust in for a heavier crimp. It is usually best to start with too little crimp as you can readjust the crimp again to suit your needs."
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The LEE Factory crimp Die (LFCD), as good as it is for crimping rifle cartridges, is odd man out for setting it up as it uses a completely different method for crimping than nearly everyone else's die set.

Standard rifle seating dies that make a roll crimp, and others separate roll crimping die, use a shoulder in the top of the die which the case mouth runs into. That makes the edge of the case roll over into the bullet. Exactly how far the seating or separate roll crimp die is from the shell holder determines how much crimp is done.

The LFCD uses a collet (A bushing that is split and shaped so that, when forced into a tapered hole, it squeeze in). The collet touches the shell holder and moves up into the die. Internally it runs into a taper in the die body which closes it down onto the case. The inside of the collet is shaped so as to put pressure on about three or four areas around the mouth of the case, pushing the case into the bullet to secure the bullet.

Setting up either the LFCD or a standard roll crimp die is trial and error. The instruction that come with either type usually get you set up right. Just read them and re-read them before you attempt to set up the dies.

LDBennett
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that LD, saved me from typing it on my phone.
    If you're not using the FCD and stll unsure, go the extra step and seat the bullets first then go back and raise the seater plug and readjust the die to just crimp by screwing it in until you get the crimp you want. Until I got my FCD I did it that way in case I had a short case and the bullet didn't seat deep enough. Just my .02 worth.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. Nachoman65

Nachoman65 New Member

Thanks for the help! I've been away for a few days and i'm just getting back to this. I have Rockchucker RCBS with The RCBS die. I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how I do. Thanks again. Clay
  8. oldreliable45120

oldreliable45120 New Member

+1 for the Lee factory crimp die.I have one for every cal I have. They can be had for less than$10.00 from Midway