how do I decide?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 68c15, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I am torn between a gas and inertia system for my first auto loading 12g. recoil is not a factor for me as I barely notice it with my 870 super.

what REAL WORLD differences are there?

I was at Scheels the other day and the salesman was going a mile a minute babbling about all kinds of stuff. he caught my attention when he mentioned a 2 year warranty. only 2 years?! what about the other 40 I want to use it for? <hint: I want to use it for a looooooooong time>
  2. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Did a little informal research for your question:

The inertia system uses the body of the firearm as recoiling component, while the bolt and bolt body remains stationary, suitable for guns the use a heavy load. This system can apparently reach high rates of fire (5 rnds/sec).Used mostly in shotguns by Benelli.

The inertia-system is very simple, has less moving parts, and requires less cleaning than a gas-system. However, there's a little more free-recoil transmitted the shooter .IMHO, the inertia-system seems to have a higher efficiency than a gas-system.

Speed of the inertia-system

If recoil is a non-issue, the gas-system would be cheaper I think.

Not perfect :eek:, but I hope that helps. :)
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I favor inertia driven because its much cleaner
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not partial to either system, but my autoloader experience is rather limited and it's with the old-school stuff too...
    Browning Auto-5, Remington 11 & 11-48 for inertia guns and the Remington 1100/11-87 and Mossberg 935 for gassers.

I don't own any of em, but my favorite of the ones listed above is a 26"bbl 935 that a friend owns. It just fits me like a glove, even better than my 870s, and I can shoot mourning doves and pheasant with it all day long.
    We've had to replace the o-rings in the gas system a couple times over 10years or so.
    1100s are about the same...you need to maintain the gas system. Most gas-operated guns will feed whatever ammo you shove up the tube with no adjustments though.

With the older inertia actions like the Auto-5, you need to set the action for the weight of load you're shooting to ensure solid functioning. Can't say for sure about the newer inertias like the Bennelli.

The Auto-5 design has been around since 1900 or so (yeat another JMB classic!) and is a proven performer. But the 1100 is a very reliable design too... Waffle...waffle...notcommitingmyselftoeithersystem. :D

For some reason, I've always preferred pumps over autos when it comes to shotguns.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Inertia for me. Cleaner. Less moving parts I believe. I believe it would outlast but both are good systems.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

neither. it's pump for me, I shoot 7/8 oz only for skeet so autoloaders of any type are out of the question.

But have to agree with above if I had to choose an auto. clean and simplicity means a clear winner for me.

870 is the bees knees though IMO
  7. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

My remington 1100s (all 3 of them) cycle my 7/8 oz 12 ga. loads just fine Randy
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The inertia driven loads can be tuned to cycle any load as well. Just order an extra recoil spring and trim it for the light loads. then swap if for shooting heavy loads.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

true true, just that I don't trust 'em with the light loads myself. Course then some would question why I shoot a pump and not an O/U at that point, can't really explain myself there. I have dropped birds due to a short shuck or stuck shell where an O/U there is no chance.

But I've watched many a auto short cycle and jam out on the skeet field even with factory ammo. could be they didn't maintain them though too...
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I've shot a lot of competition over the years, and the serious shooters stay well away from inertia guns. Usually the Beretta 391 or a few Browning Golds with a couple of 1100's but mostly O/U's. I use my 391 for everything but upland birds--ducks and geese, sporting clays, skeet, trap etc. I've shot numerous 100 straights in NSSA skeet with it, it's a fantastic doubles gun, it's WAY softer than any Benelli and I once tried to choke it by shooting it to failure; gave up after about 1,500 rounds. I've shot the poofiest 3/4 oz. loads out of it up to 1 5/8 oz. 3" bizmuth and had to do nothing to get it to puke 'em out. That's the one I recommend.
  11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

keep in mind guys that this gun will spend 90% of it's life in freezing drizzle and muddy grass. summer clays would be relegated to my 870 or my old 20g mossberg.

one guy told me that the SBEII has a tendancy to tap the bolt handle when pulling up from a layout blind causing a no-fire.

I am leaning towards the Browning Maxus.