How do I find an ISP #

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Comment
    BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 5:45:33 pm)
    | Edit | Del All How do I find an ISP #
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We discussed tracing an ISP # in the past, I saved it in my favorites, but how do you find the ISP # from an e-mail address. I ladyf friend of mine is getting some bad e-mail.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

gpostal
    (10/11/01 6:44:15 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: How do I find an ISP #
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    click on the email, then ckick on file and go to properties ,then details, there you will find the isp from who sent the email and who received it

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 6:55:50 pm)
    Right click on the email....then when the window pops up...click on properties and there you have it. Although you can easily change the name and email address that shows when you send email but its difficult to hide the path.

It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here. Patrick Henry 1765

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 7:26:11 pm)
    depending on what email client software being used, you can also 'view source' on the message and you'll see a large block of text in the header of the message that contains both the TCP/IP number (should look like 000.000.000.000, four number groups, with three '.' seperators), the sending address, even the name of the email server that forwarded it.

If you go into a command screen (a DOS window) on your PC, and type, PING x.x.x.x, (where the x.x.x.x is the TCP/IP number from the email), then hit the <enter> key, your PC should attempt to contact the address, and might return a server or internet domain name.

The simple part, is the part of the sender's email address to the right of the @ symbol IS the home domain of the email account, and you should be able to just place a 'www.' in front of it and get the host company's front page. You should be able to find a link there to report the harassment.

If the harassment is criminal or life-threatening in any way, the answer is simple. Call you local police department and sick'em on the cretin.

Rich

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 7:59:58 pm)
    GP when I tried it your way after hitting properties, I did not find the word detai anywhere
    John when I tried it your was this is waht I got:

lw8fd.law8.hotmail.msn.co...1&mfs=1275

Rayra: I appreciate your efforts, but, what you said was greek and went over my head
    BlackGUN

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 8:17:49 pm)
    Well, that makes sense, as I am half computer Geek, half Greek

Looks like a MSN Hotmail acct. You can contact them / forward the offending email for their review, but it's a slow / uneven process.
    You can also block or automatically trash and email coming from that address, but it's very easy for the offender to just set up another disposable email acct.
    You can set up some email clients to automatically trash / relocate the offending email AND automatically respond with "eat sh!t" if you want.

If there are any physical threats in the email ("I'm gonna kill you"), it is legally 'assault' and you can report it to the police and they WILL find out who it is. It isn't very hard to do, once all the agencies / internet providers get their acts together.

Rich

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 9:59:29 pm)
    Steve, After you hit properties, on the next window that pops up, hit details. That will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the email. Sometimes people try and hide address, but as rayra said it will be detected/show up via a number such as "123.45.789" instead of "Hotmail.com".

When writing to any web site most of them adhere<sp> to "webmaster@hotmail.com". That is just an example, I beleive that hotmail's for spam is abuse@hotmail.com, either way it will get your foot in the door. Most times you will get an auto reply with further instructions on where to send the offending email.

It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here. Patrick Henry 1765

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/12/01 6:26:17 am)
    John in the center of the text of the e-mail I right click and hit properties. No other window pops up. I do not see the word "details" anywhere. Am I clicking on the wrong area of the e-mail. The receiving party is on hotmail also.
    BlackGUN

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/12/01 7:47:42 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How do I find an ISP #
    BlackGun, this IP stuff is more difficult than I'd expected. I've been studying backtracing IPs. There are many variables. What I understand a "proxy" server such as Yahoo, and Hotmail route through their server which "blocks" the original IP. There are also hacker programs that will automatically forge IP's.
    So, to make a long story short...not all IP's (especially Yahoo and Hotmail) are not able to trace the original sender.
    So, thus far the best advice is to save and send original copy to the Host server as "Harrassment" and document all transactions.
    And of course if any "Threats" are made, LEOs can subpoena the Host for the perps personal information in which time formal charges may be filed.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/12/01 1:35:55 pm)
    Blackgun Zig said it best. Otherwise we need to do this via the phone, it's way to much to try doing it by the board or emails back and forth. And as zig said and what I tried to mention, it might look like it came from another hotmail address but in reality it came from some place else. Chances are though that it has originated from hotmail not to many people know how to change it(mostly spammers), but never under estimate anybody.