How do I get rid of mildew odor...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nmckenzie, Nov 19, 2012.

1. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Just bought an '80s vintage UZI Model B carbine. Rifle's in good shape, hard case will be once I give it a good soak and scrub, but the canvas sling is...well...it smells awful from mildew. Any thoughts on how to go about destinkifying the sling? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

2 min soak in warm water and a few shots of OxiClean. then rinse with tap water. Then dry and give it a shot with Febreze. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure. You could try a short soak with some bleach, but that may lighten the sling color.
  3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

wolleyworm:

Thanks for the recommendation, it's much appreciated.
  4. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Long soak in vinegar and water might work also. There's a good chance nothing will kill it completely. Might have to hang it somewhere out of smell range and forget about it for a few...months?
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet....

Kick highboy76 out and the odor will disappear.

:na-na:

On a more serious note, woolleyworm's advise has worked for me in the past.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Chew garlic??
  8. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I second the Oxyclean, I mix thourougly with hot eater, add item to be cleaned and let soak overnight, rinse, good as new and returns item to original color, without fading the color, I did this with a khaki military style woven belt, stained with set in coffee and oil from I don't know where,
    I've used OC in the carpet cleaner machine as well, the only "problem" is the section you use it on returns to the original color of the carpet, so other carpet next to that section (assuming it;s the same color/style), shows just how dirty the reast of the carpet really is, so if you use it for carpeting, spot cleaning will backfire, it will clean the "spot", but really show how dirty the surrounding carpet really is,

I have also used it on a woven cloth neckstrap used to display your fishing license(I live in a state where your fishing license has to be displayed above the waist, so the warden can check you, undected and from a distance as the license color changed form year to year, If you tried to fake it by just putting the right color paper in the clear license holder, and got caught doing so, thie fine was in the thousands, and loss of fishing for the year, if you were caught a 2nd time, no more fishing license for life, the fines and consequences were enough to keep most people honest, but of course not all,

Anyway I used it on this license holding neck strap, after a couple years of use it was brown, soaked with sweat, sunblock, tuna blood, you name it, overnight soak in OC and it was JUST like new, that stuff always amazes me, even the small bit of hardware on the necklace, a swivel and snap had started rusting, it cleaned the rust off and stopped it from continuig, so the metal parts don't look new, just well used, but clean,

I also use it in the waching machine after tuna fishing, it gets rid if the stain and more importantly, the smell of tuna blood, anybody that has any experience with tuna blood, and the unique stench it can produce should be impressed with this :)

After tuna fishing I'm not even allowed in the house until I take iff my clothes in the garage and head straight for the shower, it's that bad, really it is, and since immediate bleeding is mandatory on tuna for the sake of table quality, you WILL get bloody tuna fishing, period. Let me see if I can find a pic for an example....OK found one, this is just after picking up a quint of Albcore on the troll and landing all 5, 2nd pic is another quint hooked while trolling and again landing all 5, the blood you see is just from gaffing, we have not cut their gills and put them into the seawater-ice slush yet for coolng, you WILL get bloody tuna fishing, it's part of it.

If you use OC in a carpet cleaner, your own, or a rental, make sure the OC is completely dissolved in hot water before adding it to the machine reservoir, or it can clog up the tubing that supplies the spray heads etc.,

Guess I rambled a bit there, but I have yet to find something that OC can't clean AND deoderize.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did someone mention my name?
  10. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    That lysdexia gets me every time. :p
  11. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah when in doubt bleach but I'm not sure if it will leave any unpleasant odors.

Good strong sunlight helps some things like books, my wife buys a lot of flea market books and we air them out sometimes for days and most of the time it works.