How do I list/ship ammo if I sell it with a gun on GB?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/11/02 12:41:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All How do I list/ship ammo if I sell it with a gun on GB?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thinking of selling my Astra on GB, and will list it with extra mag and about 125 rds ammo.

I've never sold a handgun on an auction before, and never a gun with ammo.

How much should I charge shipping, and what do I have to do to ship ammo with the gun? Do I have to ship them seperately, and how much would THAT cost?

I saw an Astra 400 up to $235 already (Reserve not yet met, crap!) with a lousy description and no picture, might see what I can dredge up starting mine at less than that with no reserve....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
    (1/11/02 1:25:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How do I list/ship ammo if I sell it with a gun on GB?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe the ammo is supposed to be listed as "ORM-D" consumer quantitiy, which is an additional charge via UPS. However, in the past I have ordered deals from some well known distributors (no names mentioned) who have just packaged the ammo in a box with the rifle with no notation. There are many ways to skin this cat, and I am sure different folks will have different ideas. Personally, I have never sold and shipped ammo with a firearm before (nor alone for that matter!). I have never hasseled with the ammo shipping.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

the real fredneck
    (1/11/02 1:44:53 pm)
    I think Bob's right, they need to be in 2 packages and the ammo can't go USPS have to use a common carrier

K75RT
    (1/11/02 2:54:42 pm)
    I recently sold a pistol on auction, be sure to get prices on shipping. UPS, FedEx and USPS, if you are an FFL holder you can ship USPS to another FFL holder, call your local PO. UPS and FedEx will basically bend you over. UPS and Fed Ex make you ship a pistol overnight, it is their policy, reason is that they have thieves working for them, rather than resolve the problem they add the price on to the gun owner! Ammo I've always shipped UPS as USPS doesn't take it.
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

polishshooter
    (1/12/02 4:15:43 pm)
    SOoooo....Since I'm a Cruffler and can't use the USPS for handguns, what is the typical cost to ship a handgun overnight via UPS? Anybody know?

I see anything from $10 to $25 listed for S/H on the auctions for handguns, what is usual?

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

K75RT
    (1/12/02 6:00:30 pm)
    If you are a cruffler and you're shipping to a FFL you will need a copy of the receivers FFL and a copy of yours for the USPS. You can ONLY ship and receive CRUFFLER items, you can ship to crufflers and FFLs. USPS allows you to ship at very reasonable prices. You can ship Parcel, Priority or Overnight. If you have to deal with UPS or FedEx, you are looking at ballpark $35 per handgun. You can ship cruffler handguns to FFLs and other crufflers. Call your PO.
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

polishshooter
    (1/13/02 10:14:05 pm)
    75, we had that discussion about USPS and Crufflers before, I BELIEVE if I remember right, the USPS rules are being strictly enforced now, and since they they say "Dealer to Dealer only," and since by definition we Crufflers are NOT "dealers," we are SOL with the Post Office any more...

I believe somebody posted recent corespondence from the ATF/USPS on this question, some Cruffles used to use it, and some were denied, depending on the whims of the local postmaster, but it is now supposed to be etched in stone.

Anyway, I checked awhile back on shipping a M95 Nagant I was thinking of selling, and my postmaster said "no," so that's a moot point for me anyway.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/02 2:40:07 pm)
    As a cruffler who has shipped a couple of guns before, I'll chime in with my thoughts:

C&R FFLs cannot legally ship handguns via USPS. 01 to 01, sure, but not C&R FFLs. It's in the DMM. That said, some distributors ship handguns USPS to C&R FFLs regardless. Longarms are fine.

Fedex and UPS require Next Day service on handguns. I've always used Fedex since the local UPS has 100% package inspections. Depending on where you ship, expect to pay between $20-35 to ship a handgun.

USPS will not ship ammo. UPS & Fedex require ammo to be packaged separately from guns. Furthermore, UPS requires the box to be labeled ORM-D - don't know about Fedex. Fedex considers ammo "explosive" and classifies it as dangerous goods. Shipping a small amount of ammo UPS has typically cost me between $6-10. Some distributors still package ammo with firearms when they ship.

Note that there are no laws saying it has to go Next Day - that's just UPS and Fedex. I'm guessing UPS Next Day Air Saver (the lowest level they'll ship handguns) is a bit cheaper than Fedex Priority Overnight (the only level they ship handguns).

RobC in Missouri