how do i purchase a full auto?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by matty, May 24, 2005.

1. matty

matty New Member

this is something i am interested in and have been doing some research on lately. i purchased a machined out M16 lower through someone on the net and am awaiting the transfer through my local FFL. i have been told that the selector, trigger assembly, and sear are all parts that need to be registered through a NFA because they are what makes the gun full auto. how do i go about doing this legally? i want to build my own M14 and want full auto capability.

also, where would i find a NFA registered full auto conversion kit for my lower.

thanks.
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You really do not want to try and hold a M14 and fire it full auto. By the third round, the gun is pointing straight up in the air. The first round will go out straight, the second at a 45* angle to the earth, the third is at a 90* angle to the earth. The weapon is too light and cannot be controlled. Had one, done that........once, and only once! Never tried it again. I am not a small fellow!
  4. offeror

offeror New Member

This is just a guess, but I'm supposing you want to build an M4. You can't build an M14 out of an M16 lower...
  5. matty

matty New Member

yeah, i meant m4. i want to buy the full auto trigger assembly, sear and ect. to make an NFA weapon. where can i find these parts and what can i expect to pay for them. i see in Tapco magazines, full auto kits that will fit and they only run about 150$. can i buy one of these and register it with the NFA? if not, what are these kits for?
    :confused:
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Unless you are going to set yourself up as a manufacturer of Class III weapons and intend to sell to the military or law enforcement, you can't "just build a full auto."

I think it was a bill passed in 1986 which effectively banned the further manufacture of Class III weapons for civilians. You will see guns advertised as "transferrable" these are made and registered prior to 86. A civilian can buy these with the added tax stamp. As typical with the law of supply and demand, since the supply is fixed, the items are priced accordingly. You will also see full auto weapons listed as "Post 86, Dealer Sample." These were made by licensed manufacturers and can be sold to other dealers, law enforcement departments, or the military. Again, these cannot be purchased by a civilian user on a form 4. However, economics in action again, since these can made in bulk, the price is lower to the military and police. Look up a transferrable M16 verus a Post 86 dealer sample, the transferrable unit will be 2-3x the Post Dealer sample.

Anyway, food for thought, making a full auto out of parts - while mechanically doable, is illegal since the 1986 law will not allow you to register the newly manufactured gun.

Be careful! The laws are fairly tricky. There have been hints that being in possession of a STEN parts kit (for example) and having the plans for the reciever tube "could" constitute having an unregistered machinegun.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Oh, and ditto on the full auto M14, even in the E2 variant with the extra weight and grips, its more than a handful....
  8. ROTCC

ROTCC Former Guest

It's worthless any way. No more hits, no faster than semiauto. Just wastes ammo. YOu CAN make your own sound suppressor, after paying the Feds their $200 and jumping thru the hoops. At least, you can do so in about half of the States. It does take access to a lathe and a Tig Welder to do so, but you can pay somebody to do that part of you don't have such access. A .22 silencer you can make and mount yourself without such tools.