How do I remove the grips S&W 1086

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pabooger, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

I just acquired a nice Smith and Wesson 1086, 10mm and Id like to remove the grips to give it a thorough cleaning. There appears to be a Pin through them, is it as simple as drifting the pin out or is there more to it?
  2. MPinkston

MPinkston New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  3. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

My grips have no screws. I drifted out the pin today, it came out very easily, there is spring tension on the grips, I believe it is the hammer spring, so you have to release the spring from the grips and they simply slide off. There is a detent in the pin, the bottom of the spring assembly has a little nub that locks into the detent on the pin upon reassembly! Pretty ingenious design.

Thanks for the Link to the schematics, they were helpfull. If you look closer at the schematic you will see the pin that I am talking about.