how do u tell scope no good

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

The Savage 12 BVSS that I recently got has a World class, 5-20x50ao on it. It's as clear as any scope Ive looked thu and good in low light.
    Ever hear tell of the windage/elevation being "bass-akwawards" on the adjustments?
    On mine it has the L-R and Up-Down, well they are exactly oppisite!!!
    One both, widage and elevation....get past that little confussing aspect, and it's a great scope, IMO. Hasnt failed me yet. Fingers crossed.
    Was going to replace it first thing, but thought I'd give it a chance, good so far.
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Didn't mean that at all Beth. I just meant to say that steel castings aren't usually as poor as aluminum castings. Both will benefit from lapping.

Lapping tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/87...ing-scope-ring-alignment-and-lapping-kit-30mm

Watch the video. It'll give you the idea of the process. I don't go just forward and back, but left to right also. Kinda like a figure 8. On the 1st pass, just be sure to not tighten the rings so much that tool won't move. But it does need enough contact to make it work. Lightly snug? Once the tool moves freely in the rings, take the top rings off and wipe everything clean. You'll see just how outta square the castings are. Apply new paste and repeat. Do this until yer happy with the contact area. Keep an eye on the screws. You don't want to lap the rings to the point that they don't hold the scope tightly.

If ya don't want to buy the kit, PM me yer addy and I'll let ya borrow mine.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Personally I just tell the scope ," You're no good, you've always been a bum and you'll always be a bum". Love that line from Lee J. Cobb to Frank Sinatra i............
    .........Anybody?.....
    ...........no?........

Come Blow Your Horn.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...dang I hate to quote "me" self, but Beth, here's a video that shows what I was trying to describe ^^^^^
    EDIT: Two shot Zero, my bad

http://youtu.be/TiOpQY2ORo4
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thanks everyone