how do you break in your new pistol?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by baehan, Mar 19, 2004.

1. baehan

baehan New Member

do you use a bore snake?

run a patch thru?

i was told to...
    run bore snake thru, take 1 shot, run bore snake thru, take next shot...etc for around 50 shots. then i can start firing away.

what do you guys do? which products do you use?
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

shoot it ,shoot it, shoot it

wilson recomends shooting it 500 times "with out" cleaning it , the bore snake trick maybe be just a opinion i don't know never heard of doing it like that

just keep her lubed ,and shoot it
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  3. merc

merc New Member

I don't buy NEW guns so they are already fired.
    no break in.
    but if I were to buy new I would break it in by
    "SHOOTIN" THE HECK OUT OF IT"
    I don't know what sticking a bore snake thru will do to break it in better.????? Go ahead and shoot--that's what you bought it for
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yup, what you described is how to break in a rifle barrel. Well something near it. Anyway, buy a case of ammo and go to the range and have fun! Let 'er rip!
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

On a new gun.......right out of the box, I just clean it as though I've just finished a shooting session.....then run a couple of patches thru the bore to make sure it's dry, and:

And (as Postal says), shoot it, shoot it, shoot it! ;)
  6. baehan

baehan New Member

so, i SHOULDN'T clean is after every shot...okay...no problem...easy enough.

when should my first cleaning be? after how many shots? so if i shoot 200 shots when i go out...i shouldn't clean it until 300 shots later?

how often should i clean it? after i finish shooting at the range? whenever it doesn't seem to be shooting straight?

when you do clean....what procedure do you use? products...etc.

thanks...:)

oh...btw...what ammo should i use...and how much does it cost? i went to walmart yesterday to check out their prices on 45 ammo...they have winchester 230 grain fmj target for $19.99 per 100 rounds. seems like the avg cheap price for ammo around here is $10 per 50 rounds.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I clean all my weapons after any use in a given day.

The cost of the item is a substantial investment that is worth protecting not only for me but for my children, who will one day have the item.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'm with Marlin

I clean mine after every session. If I only shoot one shot, I mayt forego cleaning until I shoot again, but usually I do it after every time. Cleaning it can never hurt, if done properly.

As gpostal said: Keep 'er lubed and shoot it!

I use some kind of bore cleaner for the nastier parts and then I have some Remoil that I use to lube things up with. 3-in-1 oil also makes a good lube and cleans it all up nicely. Just make sure to wipe off the excess with either. I have a friend(Ironically, he's in the military) who doesn't do this and he still hasn't figured out that it just makes your gun dirtier.

For breaking in gun or just plinking, I'd suggest the cheapest ammo you can find. No use buyin the expensive stuff it you're just out shootin. When you're ready to get into serious shooting(hunting or sighting in a gun) use whichever ammo you prefer so you'll have a feel for it when you need it. Don't want to miss a deer or somebody breakin into your house cause you aint used to the ammo.

Just my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it. Have fun!
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I clean my 1911 after every 500-600 rounds. That's about every three days. Once a month, I completely tear down the weapon for a through cleaning, re assemble, then lightly oil.

I do run the Bore Snake between range sessions everyday.

Change the recoil spring about every 5000 rounds and your 1911 will last a lifetime.
  10. baehan

baehan New Member

i apologize about my lack of knowledge...

what and where do you lube (no jokes please:) )? do i have to take the gun apart?

after my session at the range, i assume i just field strip the gun and clean the bore and just wipe down the exterior.

thanks for all the help.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

One drop of oil on each slide rail and one drop on the hammer strut. That should be all you need until time for a complete cleaning.
  12. merc

merc New Member

I clean any gun I shoot every 3rd or 4th session out, as a general thing.
    To do this I simpl,y field strip it and clean the heck out of it.
    If I plan not to shoot a particular gun for a few weeks I will clean it right after a single time out and put it away clean and oiled.
    In between cleanings keep the slide greased lightly.
    If there is excess powder reisue after only 1 session -clean it.
    Extra cleanings don't hurt-but leaving the gun "dirty for a week doesn't hurt.
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i use hoppe's for the bore and the crud ,then go over it with breakfree clp , i use wilson ultima lube and grease for lubrication

a complete tear down is scary your first time ,after you do it and get it back together ,you'll it is as easy as a tune up and oil change on a car

here is a link to show step by step procedure on a 1911

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm
  14. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

A good rule to follow when lubing a gun is lube it wherever you seen a shiny spot. With a new gun, these will be harder to find, but anywhere there is friction, it'll need some lube.
  16. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

Clean it! Lube it! Shoot it!
  17. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I would not worry too much about the bore on a self loader pistol.

An oldtimer told me when I was a youngbuck to break in any self loading weapon with 'heavy' loads. I tell ya what. I have done this from 22rf upto 12 gauge and it settles parts in alot faster and I rarely have problems with any autoloaders I own.

I would invest in some hard hitting 230s like from doubletap for the first 100 rounds atleast and another few boxes of full power loads. Then clean and use as you see fit........
  18. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

With any brand new gun (that I learned from my brothers Marlin 795) is to clean the packing grease then shot the amount of rounds you want (50, 100, 200, 300, etc.) then clean and lightly oil then do it again the next session).
  19. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Be a Hen--

Welcome to the party! Glad to see you joined the club!

My 1911 pistols were cleaned when first acquired and before firing them. I lubed them with one drop on the barrel where the bushing rides, the hammer pin, and the extractor. One Drop! No more! That's per the engineers that designed the guns as written in the operating manual.

I put just a tiny spot of synthetic grease on the rails and worked the action back and forrth after the initial oiling and greasing before inserting the magazine and sending some rounds downrange.

I cleaned the guns when I was finished shooting. Probably at least 100 rounds the first time out to the range. My guns aren't target models even though they have match barrels, so I wasn't too fussy with the cleaning. I shot only commercial rounds, PMC's 230 grain round nose, the first time out.

Read your manual, then read it again, than take a walk and think about what you read, then read it again before you go out shooting. Try to understand what is going on with the pistol as it feeds and cycles. Take is slow and easy at first. Find an experienced shooter to give you a hand. Have a ball with your new 1911!

Let me know how you make out or else I'll come back and haunt you when I'm dead.

After some fair bit of shooting, I'm not sure the exact number of rounds, when the spirit moves me I clean my magazines.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  20. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i normally shoot the gun a mag or two without clean or lube, then strip the gun and lube well and shoot it a bunch. i dont clean the bore until about 300 or 500 rounds or more