how do you break in your new pistol?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by baehan, Mar 19, 2004.

1. mikld

mikld Member

I soak the barrel of my 1911 each time I use it (1 part Mineral spirits, 1 part Marvels Mystery oil, 1/2 part Kroil). I soak overnight or until I remember, and it usually only needs a patch or two. 95% of what I shoot is cast lead so the soak takes care of any light leading too. With my 1911 field stripped, I can wipe off any residue and check for any probs or potential probs. Then I lightly reoil the slide rails and mebbe a bit (1/2 drop) of oil on the trigger/sear/disconnector and call it good. Sometimes I take off the grips and soak the whole gun (field stripped) to get rid of any gunk in hard to reach places, and maybe once every 1000 to 1500 rounds I'll take her all the way down and check/clean...

P.S. To break in a bbl, I just shoot, shoot, and shoot...
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

for maintenance i normally field strip the gun and wipe the soot out of it and reoil after every shooting, unless i feel lazy i do it every other trip depending on the gun. my single six rarely gets any attention other then a coat of oil to prevent rust.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Always clean any new weapon BEFORE firing. Make sure to get ALL the lube out of the new barrel. New weapons come packed with grease to prevent rust before the sale. Give it a good cleaning and a light oil / lube and it will give good service for a lifetime. :)
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This is an excellent point. Grease isn't the best option for most parts of firearms that are in use, but it is a great protector for guns that are handled a lot and not shot (which pretty much describes life in a gun shop). This grease needs to be cleaned out before the gun is used and replaced with an oil for the proper level of lubrication without keeping residue, grime, etc. in the moving pieces (as grease tends to do).