How do YOU buy ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justsomeguy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

When you purchase a firearm what makes your decision? Is it price,brand,style,caliber or maybe function ? The reason i ask is we all know their have got to be 30 different AR-15 brands available how do YOU choose ? Christ look at all the 1911's just a little topic thats all sumptin to yack about.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

For me, it's all of the above.

1) I decide on the caliber first.
    2) Price is a consideration for everyone, the maximum one can spend is different for everyone. For me, I keep it under $2500 for rifle and optics.
    2) Style, function & brand are important, but trail caliber and price.
  3. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

for me it would be brand.then price then cal.
    I want quality, then find the price I like in the cal. I'm looking for.
    One of my first hand guns i ever bought. had a catastrophic malfunction. the first time out at the range.
    It's not fun to have part of a slide go flying past your partners head next to you at the range. I will never by a jennings again.
    It's ben almost 20 years. i still hove some of the scars on my hand.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

1) use first

2)caliber

3) style..pump, lever,bolt, revolver, ect

4) cost to purchase (brand only come in play here..if I can afford it)
    known junk weapons are not consitered

5) handling..have handled many good looking guns that just didnt fit me right..or handle naturally for me.

6) wifes opinion..actually this is the most important factor..if she says no its NO!!
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Definate +1 on that.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Function first for me. There has to be a reason to purchase a gun for reasons other than just ownership. SD, HD, hunting. Brand is important, but yet, not more important than price, money is tight around here. Quality is important also, but won't out weigh cost. For me caliber falls into the function range.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Wow. Y'all folks actually think about it?

Me, I see it and part of my brain says, "OOOOhhh, I want it", and it goes home with me.
  8. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Having bought two guns last month- both first time purchases...I'll give you may thinking

I wanted 2 guns - a 30-30 lever action and a 45 1911. I've wanted both for a long long time. FInally able (money, wife) able to get them.

I looked at several winchester's as that was the 'dream' gun - not keen on the feel of the gun or how not-smooth the action was. Tried a new marlin 336 and not only was it 1/2 the price and new, it was smoother. Done deal.

That was easy compared to the handgun search...read books, forums, websites, talked to people, visited multiple stores to see/hold examples. Did some soul searching on what I wanted the gun for - protection, ego/pride, to use (and use for what?). I was trying to narrow the field to brands, models perhaps, that were in my price range and would do what I wanted/needed.

I still want a 1911....but ended up with a new SA XDm9 5.25 comp.

Two big factors - 1911's command a premium of $200ish over any other similar gun. For what? Style? If I"m gonna use the gun, how? Local club does PPC/IDPA/Steel so OK, I'll shoot a lot (did some ppc smallbore back in the 80s) and 9mm is cheaper than 45...that was one of the hardest choices was to change calibers. It also said I wanted a target model with adj sights and long barrel.

Then I had choices of glock, SA and S&W. The SA is all the rage and getting rave reviews and their kit comes with everything (gun, multiple backstraps, 3 clips, holster, mag carrier, speedloader, cleaning brush, case, chamber flag) I liked the feel of the S&W but not a whole lot more than the SA which was cheaper (with all the extras I'd need) and I didn't like the chunky grip of the glocks.

I like to buy local from small business folks when I can - and when it doesn't cost me a lot extra, so I knew online prices, FFL and shipping fees and the local guy was $10 more - and since he was helpful and will be there when I have questions or need something that decision was fairly easy.
  9. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

I've got all the utilitarian guns I need so to buy now it would really have to catch my eye, something with wow factor but not bling. As for price there are no real sleepers anymore so you want quality you pay for it .
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I have to second Alpo on that. It's usually something that catches my eye. No reasoning what so ever.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Dang Alpo, we think alike a whole lot!! That pretty much covers my buying rationale, or lack of it!!
  12. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

After doing all the searches, local and online once i decide what I want its usually off to my local dealer where it may be a few dollars more, but not really if u consider the price of shipping and transfer fee's. In the end he is the one you will need if you have any problems with it and one last benfet is also they always look over what they sell. Just the end of the thought process
  13. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Definitely the function, or use of the gun is #1. No reason to have something that's going to just sit in the safe.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I try to round out my collection, I have some old guns I would like to get some newer models.

I will say this the newer gun lines are endless and a lot are very similar.

For example the 1911s, 9mm, CCW guns, target guns, AR15s on and on. You're only limited by your personal preferences and your wallet.
  15. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Wow a lot of the answers are very intresting. I am more of a name guy then caliber then price!!!
  16. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Me, I see it and part of my brain says, "OOOOhhh, I want it", and it goes home with me.

:yeahthat:
  17. mranum

mranum Member

Years ago I was at a point where I new what kinda gun I wanted and it had to be a "new" one, then look at my pocket book and figure out which I could afford. Back then I did a bunch of horse trading because everyone I bought was a piece of cheap imported crap. Don't get me wrong, lots of good imported guns out there but thats not what I was buying.

Now that I'm older,I appreciate the old stuff more. I had enough of guns that can't fire a clip without jamming or other issues. I figure out what I want, 1911, single shot shotgun etc. then go looking for a good used one, preferably an American made product.
  18. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I am right there with alpo!!! If i have the money and i like it its mine. :D
  19. squaw man

squaw man New Member

If it calls my name, I take a look. If we both speak the same language, it goes home with me. I know you are going to think I'm crazy, but that is the way it happens. Every time I went by the local pawn shop, I could hear it calling my name. I didn't know what it was, but it kept calling. I finally went in and there it was, the Springfield XD9 SC that had been calling me.
    We talked, fell in love and now that little beauty lives at my side, everyplace I go.
  20. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

these responese are great.