How do you carry at the range

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by TxBlackPowder, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

I've done a little research on the site, and can't find much on how most people carry at the range. I know if I had a modern pistol instead of a BP, I could use a holster without anyone wondering where my horse is tied up. Do you use a holster once you get there, or do you use a case?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've never shot at an actual range. at my personal range i normally shoot out of cases. since i normally have my carry gun on my belt. although sometimes if i plan to do a lot of work with one particular gun i'll wear that one
  3. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Our range is open range. We have targets set up out to 2,000 yards. This is just open country {BLM Range}. We have no rules just have fun.

RC
  4. 22shot

22shot New Member

I don't "carry" at the range.

They are either cased; laying on the bench; or I'm shooting.
  5. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

That makes sense. I'd love to have a holster for it, but if its just going to hang on the wall, and I'm not going to actually wear it...I'd rather not spend the money on it.

Thanks guys!
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

I won't go to a range that prohibits open or concealed carry. Too many cases of folks being murdered, and having their guns stolen at some secluded range. I carry at both ranges I shoot at, and I never shoot my carry gun on any given trip. If I want to shoot gun "A", then I carry gun "B".
  7. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

First... Semper Fi :)

Second
    I only have the one gun, and am very much the novice. Eventually I could like to get my conceal and carry lisc, but until then I will be more than satisfied with my BP.

I just like the holster, and the kid in me wants to wear a pistol on my hip....I just dont want to be the only one doing it. :-D
  8. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

The local range encourages us to carry.
  9. Jay

Jay New Member

That's great. If I were you, I'd make sure they know that you appreciate being able to carry while you shoot.
  10. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

is it uncommon for a range to allow/encourage you to carry while you shoot?
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Ya know, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing nobody has a gun within arms reach when I'm downrange changing targets. I don't know you, so why should I trust you to not handle a gun while the range is "safe"
    Likewise, you don't know me and if you trust me to follow all the rules, you're a fool.
  12. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

So if the holsters are not for the range, when would you wear a holster (BP)? Maybe a Civil War reinactment? I can't image that many people are strolling around with them on their hips in every day life.
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

I go only to MY range alone. When I go to another range, I go with friends. Only one of us goes down range at a time. The other controls the firing line.... and both of us are armed. I don't trust easily either.
  14. Jay

Jay New Member

Many ranges will not allow concealed carry, or movement on the firing line, or drawing to shoot.
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

come over to kentucky and you can open carry without problem. i do. i normally open carry a glock 22 but when i get another single action i'll probably switch.