How do you carry at the range

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by TxBlackPowder, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

At the range I bring several firearms at a time two hand guns and a rifle or two, we shoot out of the cases never holster and when going down range the firearms are on the bench sometimes I take the clips and sometimes not, the range is very small typically there is no one else shooting, occasionally one other shooter we always go down range at the same time.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Like some others here I shoot at my own personal range. When I do go to a range, I'm very carefull about going down range. I have only shot at one range that had a range guard, someone who would control the range for the club. That works for me. At home, I just take what I need to the table, which is only about 75 feet form the front door. On a range my guns are all in a case of some sort, if nothing other than a rug. They stay there untill it's their turn!
  3. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

Cool. So it sounds like a case is the way to go then.

Where would the typical BP shooter use a holster if not at the range?
  4. sewerman

sewerman New Member

i carry concealed at the range.
    always want a fire arm near especially driving to & from.

there have been incidents of folks getting jacked after buying a new gun, being followed home & robbed of gun & anything else.

we live in a sick society & being vigilant is just being responsible.

S.M.
  5. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

All the holsters that I use can be used cross draw. I find cross draw more convenient when horseback. Since I ride either a horse or ATV to where I shoot, cross draw just works for me. I do have holsters for every gun in the safe. But since I make my own holsters, and there isn't much else to do here in the winter (blizzard conditions here last two days) well, you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was actively going to the range I would carry everything that I would need in a couple of large Midwest Supply range bags. Handguns, mags, ammo, staplers, rags, take down equipment, sqib remover, hand cleaner, hand warmers, etc.

Targets went in a tube.
  7. ofitg

ofitg New Member

rdstrain, it looks like you prefer short-barrelled revolvers
  8. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Actually, I like what shoots:)
  9. ofitg

ofitg New Member

My favorite Remington is the Uberti .36, mainly because of the shorter barrel.

I've got a Colt 1851 which was converted to .38 S&W back in the '80s..... I'd like to fit it with a short barrel.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Depends on what my carry gun is that day. 44 mag goes in an open holster worn cross draw on my left side or my 45 is in an old military field holster with the flap on the right side. Anything else is kept in the gun box or on the bench unless I'm shooting it.