How do you feel about buying processed brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I would at least check each one for max length. I mean, it only takes a second before you load it.

does it say if has been swaged or was it even crimped primer to start with
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Here's my opinion: Have you dealt with this person before? Do you know what all he does/doesn't do when proccessing the cases? Sure he listed a few things, but is that all he has done? If so, you're getting partially proccessed cases. I have sold proccessed cases before, and I know that whoever checked them over did not find a single step missed or have anything to complain about. There is no way I would trust anyone, not for the first few times at least. Saving that prep time is not worth the problems that may occur. I actually enjoy prepping the cases. I know what I end up with that way, too.
  4. cycloneman

right. this is their process check the link. This is why i am asking here if anyone has had experience with them.

http://www.apex-brass.com/brass-processing/

This is the same process i would do but it is not me doing it.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I do not like "processed" brass if the process includes sizing. Cleaned and maybe decapped, OK, but not sized. I size all of my brass to fit my rifles not some generic one sizes fits all, or worse one size doesn't fit mine.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

If I needed 308 brass I would buy this stuff in a heart beat. The price is right and I would load about a half dozen loads and run them through my gun and if they fed I would load the rest. If they didn't I would resize them and then load them. Keep in mind all of my 308 guns are auto loading black guns and I mostly shoot at rocks, meaning I do not shoot paper with my 308's.

As for steve4102 comments about resizing for each rifle is my view a waist of time. Anyone seeing the groups shot by the Cooper gun company knows they are best groups ever and all of their cases are full length resized. I load for my son's 300 Win mag and 220 Swift as well as my 300 Win and Swift, full length resizing every case and all four guns shoot less than one inch groups at a 100 yards. Both our Swifts on a good day will shoot less than a half inch 5 shot group at 100 yards.

Ron
  7. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Did you read the ad? I can't think of anything else this company or person could do to further 'process' this brass. What else would you have done to the brass you sold to others? The process the ad listed is standard in the industry for commercial reloads.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. cycloneman

I agree and just wanted someone to twist my arm. Not much more in price and if they work I saved alot of time. If not at least i got my primer pocket swagged.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I said I size my brass to fit each rife. I did not say I neck size only.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's your money and it's your time. Only you can determine if it's best for you.

As for me..... I would never pay someone to do what I call therapy. Even if I did, there are still several steps that they don't list. I de-burr flash holes, I anneal necks, I may turn or ream the necks. I just enjoy doing it.
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I neck size then check for length all my new brass.

If I was to get once fired brass, I'd rather do all the processing myself.

But it seems like a good deal.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think its a great deal for once fired brass. If i were in the market for some id buy it, load a few and test them. if they work then id load the rest and be happy i got a sweet deal on brass for my rifle.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Yea, I read it. I guess I'm the only one that goes ahead and chamfers the case mouth (inside and out), de-burrs the flash hole, and most of the time uniforms the primer pocket. Apparently, just extra steps. But wait, I get 1 hole groups. Do you?
  15. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Yes I do, from my bolt actions. But if I were shooting an auto for fun or just loading ammo for "doomsday prepping', I wouldn't put in the time for that kind of brass prep to load on a progressive for plinking and short range defense.
    And chamfering is normal on a commercial line, which I assume this is. (I once toured the Ultramax facility, very impressive)
    I also don't use Mil-spec for my precision loads, perhaps that's just me though.