How do you feel about this .22 cal. plinker

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I am thinking about buying this .22 caliber 1911 pistol. I want something that does'nt cost a arm and a leg to shoot as offten as I want. Do any of you know anything about Chiappa Firearms 1911-22 Semi-Automatic Rimfire Handgun .22 Long Rifle 5" Barrel 11 Rounds Wood Grips Black Finish?
    [​IMG]
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I haven't shot one yet, but I know a few people that have one and they love it.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

What do they run deac?
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Tombstone Tactical sells em right now for the unusually low price of 205 bux, for the base model. Shipped, with FFL fees included, it'd be less that 240 for the most part, if ya go thru them.
    Chiappa 1911-22

Ive never handled this model, but would love to hear a report from anyone that owns one... Or is planning on making the purchase. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I bought one a year ago or so. It shoots OK but is another one of the aluminum/zinc type pistols. Plastic magazines but seem to be decent enough for a 22. The weight and the feel is there. I have only had a few issues with mine FTF or FTE but not too bad considering what it is. Not too bad as far as accuracy goes but don't expect it to be one of those pass down through generations type of firearms. Fun for today is what it is.
    the slide is so heavy and the springs so light that if you put a loaded mag in it you can literally move the gun forward and back very quickly and load the first round.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I would take a close look at the Browning Buckmarks and Ruger Mark III pistols.
  7. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Hey guys - a question for you: My older brother bought one of these, and he's having failure to eject the empty cases. He bought the pistol used, and said it was pretty dirty. He said it extracts empties just fine, but the empty cases are not ejected clear of the slide while firing.

Without seeing it, I advised him to give it a good cleaning and lube. He thinks the problem may be with the ejector. Like I said, I haven't seen the pistol myself, so I can't offer much. Are failures to eject common with this pistol? Also, is the ejector a fixed-piece attached to the frame like on a 1911, or is it somehow a part of the mag assembley?

Thanks in advance for any help - Jim
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't know anything about the Chiappa Firearms, but I can see from your post that they are cheap. I have had a lot of bad luck with CHEAP guns! They shoot, but not all that well, and they don't hold up well. Why not take a look at the Ruger single six, or even the Taurus double action revolvers.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  9. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

If my memory serves, the American Rifleman did a article on these pistols and seemed impressed. Search the NRA magazine for that piece.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My local shops sells a TON of these .22 1911s. The guys in there will tell you that they have very, very few complaints from the GSG 1911, but the Chiappa 1911 isn't nearly as well built.
    Take that for what it's worth.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If the gun, barrel and chamber are clean try higher velocity ammo. If you already use high vel ammo order a new extractor and/or spring , it's an easy fix.

Here is the manual if he doesn't already have one.

http://mkschiappa.com/PDFs/Manual_1911-22.pdf
  12. cutter

cutter New Member

I have the Sig 1911-22. Very similar and have hah no trouble at all. I really like this as a trainer! If I start flinching or anything like that, I go back and fire this and correct what I am doing wrong. Will they last a lifetime, I dought it but look at the price, not very expensive. They are also good for someone to start out on. I have the single six and ruger 22-45. They wil last a lifetime but are not as good for pratice as an actual 1911 model. All of my friends also liked it. I think they are good for what they are, trainer and cheaper to shoot. JMHO.
  13. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Thanks for that link, Old Grump! He's a retired LEO, former Marine and knows lots about firearms and reloading. He was just stumped on the ejection issue on this pistol. I've been the unofficial family gunsmith for more than 50 years, but he lives in Central Missouri and I'm in Colorado, so it's been long distance problem solving about this pistol.

FTE is normally associated (to my mind) with 1.) ammo types, 2.) broken, dirty or bent ejectors, 3.) dirty /slide/barrel/chamber or 4.) lube issues. There can be other issues, but these have often been the primary things I've found to cause this.
  14. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

the ejector is part of the magazine. The magazines are plastic so he would need to make sure the plastic part is not broken/worn

The one thing about these pistols is they can not be dry fired. The firing pin will hit the top of the chamber opening leaving a burr. This will cause the round to hang up and not eject properly. A simple touch with a jewelers file will fix this.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have shot the mark 111 and loved it?
  16. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Can't get one in Illinois because the metal they are made from has a melt point below 800F. MC Sports had them in their ad for $239 and when I asked, that is what the salesguy told me.

I bought a Colt 1911a1 in .22 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. Steel frame, aluminum slide and metal mags. It is more than the Chiappa though.
  17. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Ruger Mark III.....Just do it. In the end you get what you pay for.
  18. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ive looked at the Puma, but came away a little unimpressed...I think it was the balance, maybe or something...I bought the GSG 1911-22 and very well pleased...It will shoot absolutely anything I stuff in the magazine...even some 30 years old Fed Lightnings...The Sig 1911-22 is made by GSG and is identical except for the slide stamping, plus a little more expensive...
  19. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Look into the CZ KADET - a .22 lr that is identical to the CZ-75. I recently bought one from a friend - it is extremely reliable and reasonably accurate (probably better than I can shoot, at this point in life.)
  20. somawas

somawas New Member

I've got the Umarex USA Colt model of this plinker. It's not a target gun, so as a plinker, it's fun to shoot. Other than the barrel being fixed to the frame, it breaks down almost like a 1911/ 45ACP and the beaver tail safety and thumb safties operate like a 1911/ 45ACP.

Attached Files: