1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

how do you keep track of how many times you've used brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 44stevenson, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

Just wondering how you guys keep track of how many times you've fired brass.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I really don't. I try to keep lots of brass together and inspect it before every reloading session. If any of the lot shows signs of failure, like loose primer pockets, throat burn threws (most common) or neck or body splits, the whole lot gets tossed (actually it goes in the recycle bin as it is very valuable today!) and replaced with new brass. Typically I get about 4 or 5 reloads out of it if it is rifle brass and tens of reloads for pistol brass. I have some pistol brass that has been loaded for 20 years or more. The 10mm brass from my Colt Delta Elite has dings in it from hitting the ejection port. Every case has permanent little dings marking each reloading and most have about ten such dings and the brass is still very reloadable.

Others are much better record keepers than me and keep a log of each lot. To me that is too much work and not necessary at the level of shooting accuracy I need. For most of my rifles I reload 100 rounds, store it in a dedicated plastic ammo box. That is my lot and it is not reloaded until the box is all shot and full of empties. For my tactical rifles and for pistol I am less organized.

LDBennett
  3. daboone

daboone Member

I shoot then reload 2 to 3 times a week. So I'm only reloading 40 cases for a specific rifle at a time. When the current batch is showing the signs they go into the recycle bin and exchanged for lead at the scrap metal yard.
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I keep it in boxes and mark them. I keep lot numbers of brass together.
  5. garydude

garydude Member

Here's how I do it. I keep a post-it note on the load in the case with the rounds. I mark a line for each time I reload it, and an "A" for each time I anneal them. Here's a few examples.

Attached Files:

6. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

For rifle yes. For pistol, man I try, but I always loose at least 20 percent. I always inspect all my brass just to be safe. In short I put the brass back in the same container, I always list on the label how many times it was loaded.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

To be honest, I don't keep track of it. When it gets unusable, I throw it in the scrap brass bin.
  8. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

I have a file cabinet.with all the calibers listed.I put a number on each box and list date ,bullets ,powder, primers, how they shot and how many times they have been trimmed.I have loads from over forty years in there.
  9. henry77

henry77 New Member

I loaded a box of 25.06 the other day that has been reloaded 12 times. No cracks. They get trimmed when needed.

I mark the box with a line showing number of times reloaded.
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

I scrounge my brass and any other range brass I can asfter each shooting session. Pistol only. I inspect for splits as I sort them by caliber when I get home. They get tumbled and then dumped into a bulk container for each caliber. I am not really interested in tracking the number of reloads any one case gets.
  11. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Me too, but I don't have to scrounge much. I usually am the reason for a bad case, either mis-align in the press or stepped on it on the concrete floor. Rare, but it happens.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Pistol cases are scrounge-able because they can be reloaded many more times than rifle brass. Rifle brass has a limited life as the pressures are 3 to 5 times higher which is much tougher on the brass. I usually find the necks burned through, eventually, but I have seen body splits and loose primer pockets.

Recently some range brass I picked up in 30-06 developed body splits with my first reloading. I will no longer pick up range rifle brass. It may be on the ground because the original user wanted to discard it as it was beyond its useful life. He didn't leave me a note for the brass I picked up. So no more rifle range brass for me! I can afford new brass occasionally.

LDBennett
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do it the way LD does it. Just inspect every session. I anneal and trim every session as well for my rifle brass. Pistol brass never gets trimmed only inspected and reloaded.