How do you listin to your mothers rants about your choices without losing respect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coreyacp, Jan 26, 2010.

1. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

My mom is a crazy liberal. She has her own all green store in oregon, but she hates my descion of the army. See i used to want to go to college and i was such a dem/liberal and everyone thought i was going to go into the diplomatic corp or somthing. But i feel my calling is the army thats why i enlisted i feel this war is justified and i want to contribute to something that is historic an worthy and i can save lives and stop the evil individuals fro
    Ever attacking our homeland again. Thats why spec ops is a goal that i will reach. My mom says im a different person and i will be more changed when i come home from the atrosities i wipl see an commit possibly and that guns an bombs do not solve the situation and never have. That the peace corps is better suited for me. But thats not what i wanted or want to do. But now she is being borderline disrespectfull to our soldiers and grunts and im losing respect what do i do guys (i just got off the phone with her)
  2. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

how old are you and are you already in and stationed away from home
  3. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

17 in high school finishin school with my dad here in palm springs preenlisted ship out the day after i graduate to basic
  4. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

first she is your mother and second a woman so she will never understand you or you her just make good decision everyday and hope she comes around when she sees what a great man/soldier you become don't burn bridges you don't have too you may need to cross that stream again someday good luck
  5. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Thanks man im all torn up
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

When you burn a bridge, it is gone forever. She is your mother, and even if she 'is wrong', she still will try to get you to do what she thinks is right. Respect her and her opinions, because some day she will probably be gone and you will have to live with what you said and did to her, forever!!!!!
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

You are, as the oldsters say, "growing up." Be a tad sympathetic, it's going to be hard on her. Probably more so than on you. That's one of those things you have to be older to really see, it can only come with experience.
    Like my 17 year old stepdaughter proudly showing me her first tattoo.
    Like when she got married a few months later and moved to Australia.
    Like when she was 18 and called to tell us she was pregnant.
    Like when she was 19 and had my grandson.

So go easy on Moms, but talk to her and reason with her as much as you can. You're in the process of becoming a grown man, and if you go through with your decision you will be one in short order. Like it or not.
    As others have said, don't burn some bridges. Good bridges can take a little singeing though.
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I agree, The biggest thing is to remember that you can stand firm by your decision to enlist and still be civil a nice to mom even though she is hell bent on a battle. I will disagree with Red to some extent about burning bridges. Look as an adult you will have to stand on your own two feet. With that beeing said the decision to enlist is yours. Mom will come around, Just be gentile wit her. If she is hell bent on a fight, dont fight, be firm but be civil. You can hold your ground with out hurting her permantly trust me. As long as you do this she will come aound.
  9. navis128

navis128 New Member

Your're 17...she sees you as her "little boy", but also trying to accept you are becoming a man...it's hard, mothers love their sons...

Throughout your life...just try to be a simple kind of man and you will make her proud.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I don't think any parent finds it easy to see their son or daughter go into the military in a time of war, no matter what age. They may be proud or they may be apprehensive, but it's a pretty big letting-go.
  11. navis128

navis128 New Member

Here's a piece of advice from my adult sons.

Just keep eye contact with her...say yes ma'am and nod your head once in a while...the rants won't last as long and you can get out the door...
  12. ARB

ARB New Member

I made the mistake of listening to my mother's rants about this. She told me through weeks of begging and pleading that it would kill her inside if I joined the marines. Now, that I'm older, I understand that it is a mother's instinct to protect her children from anything that could harm them. I have also learned from my wife that women know very well how to push our buttons.
    This is going to be one of the biggest decisions you ever make. You, may feel like you are crossing your mother but in reality, you are making your own path. I'm sure your mother will appreciate that in time.
  13. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

My mom didn't understand when I went in the Marines either. And to this day she doesn't understand the chioces I have made and still do make. But, if you do what you truly beleive to be the right thing, she will eventually come to respect your decision and support you in it whether or not she suports it herself. I was always told that the agressor set the rules and we must play by them or lose. Terrorists have now set the rules to be bloodshed. We must either shed their blood or be their victims. Good Luck and God Speed in your upcoming military career.
  14. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Always honor and respect your Mother. Whether you agree with her or not. She has her life and values and you are starting your life and as you develop your own, your Mothers influence will guide you. Life experiences especially in the military will modify your values. You will see how important some values are and how superficial others are.

You are about to be taught what to do, how to do it, when and how high to jump. You won't have the luxury to make any decisions on your own until you have demonstrated that you can do so and that come with experience and the award of stripes.

As for your Mothers concern about guns, bombs and wars not settling anything, they ended slavery in the U.S. and for a while around the world. They did stop Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany from reducing us to slavery. The threat of Nuclear Weapons held the Communist Soviet Union at bay until they were scuttled by the U.S. Economy.

Yours is a noble calling. A difficult and at times dangerous job. If no one would do it, you would find yourself conscripted into an army that had taken over the U.S. and we have seen what some of the nations are like when no one opposes them. Look at all those young men in occupied countries that were conscripted into the German Army in WW II. Cannon fodder and ordered to do some of the most atrocious things you can imagine.

Hold you head high you are soon to become a U.S. fighting man.

USMSpeedy makes some excellent points.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

My mother is also a crazy liberal. I wouldn't want to go in the military. When the threats come to my homeland, then I'll take up arms, but I refuse to be a foreign occupier. But if that's what you want to do, screw everyone else - be your own man. The free spirit does what it feels is right. Guns and bombs never solve the situation? They certainly solved WWII. I will say this- the military does alot for people. It will change you. Not always negatively. It will definitely make a man out of a boy. Sometimes it can be good because it gives you alot of skills you could go on and use in lots of jobs. But it comes at a cost. Don't say nobody warned you if you come home with an arm missing or worse. But it doesn't happen to everybody. If you want to join the military, go ahead. I know plenty of people who went into the military. I work with many people who were in the military. Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

I sort of feel your pain. Not because I want to join up, but because I like my guns, and I have my political views that my mother disagrees with - so she calls me crazy, nuts or whatever else because I do what I want. I'm not harming anyone by owning a gun or being a libertarian. But because she disagrees with it, that makes me dumb or crazy. When I move out, I'll just stop talking to them if I don't like what they have to say. I also have a right to call her what I choose, and I have a right to not listen to what my parents have to say about my views.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010