How does flintlock work

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by BETH, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have never seen anyone shoot a flintlock what do u have to do to shoot it?
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thanks jj have to ck it out when i get home
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

flint should be about a 1/16" from the frizzen with a nice clean edge. Test it out once or twice for spark, then load up and shoot! There are hand cut flints and then there's the machined onces that are perfect parallelagrams, both work good. Some only last 15-20 shots on each side, some much longer.

and use FFFF in the pan; smaller amount can actually net faster ignition, don't need a lot.

I use a nose spray bottle with the tip cut open a bit to hold the 4f pan powder for the range where I'm shooting a lot.
  5. Quahog

Quahog New Member

Flintlock Rule #1 . . .

Make sure that the frizzen is hard and your spark is bright.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

7. dcriner

dcriner Member

Beth, do you have a flintlock? If so, you can fire it unloaded in a dimly lit room, and verify that is\t sparks.
  8. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

That's pretty darn good advice for most of life's situations.