How does it feel to be retired?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keokeboy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

If I had known that retirement was going to be this much fun I would have done it when I was 30 !
    'course I couldn't afford to retire when I was 30 .... can't afford it now, either, but it's still fun.
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

It's the heat fuze! I was sent packing for my injury and that was in 06. I miss working some days yet others not at all. They told me no work ever so i had to face it and move on with life. I cant do some things i loved because of surgery i had and now im finding new things to do and i get more time with my wife which is the greatest of all my new hobbies.
  3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

From all the posts to this thread, it is obvious that the main theme is to stay occupied! Too many retirees quit, put their feet up and pass on. Self worth is a large part of retirement, and if you don't have it, so long!

I was a pilot with PanAm for years, and when the Atlantic routes sold to Delta, I went with the sale and managed to retire from PanAm. Subsequently, I retired from Delta in 1997 due to the age 60 rule then in effect by the FAA. I plugged along, started drawing Social Security and filled the time working at one fun thing or another. These days, I enjoy spending time with the kids as a substitute teacher in the middle and high schools in the area. If I don't like the treatment I get at a certain school, I DON'T GO BACK.

The wife and I travel a bit, I still have travel benefits on Delta, and we visit our kids spread from Virginia to Texas. Main idea: Stay busy!
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

I'm 66 and have been 'retired' for 4 years. I now work 32 hrs a week and watch various grandkids a day or two each week while their parents are at work. This is a perfect set up for me!!
  5. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

After working for 54 years retirement sucks: I retired from the military in 1977 and returned to college, 1978 I was recruited by a large aerospace company in Florida and retired in 1994. I set on my duff for two years and the boredom got to me and went to work for the Fl. Dept of Transportation and retired for the third time in 2008. Would I go back to work if able to? Yes........