1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

How does this work? Netflix over video game machine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't play video games. So I don't own a Nintendo/Gameboy/Wii/whatever.

Long long ago, when I had small kids, we had a Nintendo. It hooked up to the TV with wires, like a VCR. You stuck in a cartridge, like a VCR. So that's what I think of, when I think of a "gaming system".

Then I see these Netflix commercials, and they say, "Get movies instantly over your Nintendo/Xbox/Wii/whatever".

How?
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Internet line and a "App" for the system your using.
    It basically streams video direct to the systems hard drive and outputs to your tv.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My daughter let me "sign-up" for Netflix on my iPhone using her account. It is an "App" that connects you to the Netflix server and watch movies or TV shows instantly. She also bought me a wiring thing that allows me to hook the iPhone up to my TV. I don't really know how it works but I watched a movie the other night on the TV through my phone (weird huh).

You can't get any of the currently/newly released movies on it, but that's still okay.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep Alpo. We have windstream wireless. and the PS3 automatically picks up the signal. all you do then is subscribe to Netflix over the internet and they give you a code. once your system is set up it will automatically have a netflix shortcut on the menu screen and will start up by juct selecting netflix and pushing the button. It costs us 15 bucks a month for unlimited entertainment.

And ps3 isnt just a gaming system. its an effective way of turning your TV into a huge PC. you can surf the net on it, store music and pictures on it, play videogames on it. watch TV on it, DVDs and Blu-ray, in fact thru an HDMI connection and a Hi def LCD flatscreen the picture quality is second to none.

Its kinda like figuring out a new cell phone. Slow goin at first, but once you figure out the buttons its pretty simple.
  5. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I can watch Netflix and Youtube on my television through either my PS3 or Xbox 360. You can also listen to "internet radio" or catch up on the Today Show, if that's your thing. I also have a connection between my PC and my video game consoles so I can stream video files on my PC's hard drive over to my television.

Video game consoles today are like specialized computers, and have quite a few uses besides playing video games.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The XBOX 360 and the Playstation 3 I know have wireless internet on them as a standard feature and you can use it to connect to Netflix and stream movies (watch a movie over the internet).
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Your game consoles today are connected to the internet. Through that connection you can.
    1. Play online video games
    2. access media like netflix, iheartRadio, ect.....

I have a Wii and an Xbox360. I plat Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 on line with friends in matches that are called Teamdeath matches where you side up with 5 other players against 6 other players you then fight and the team with the most kills wins.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The Xbox 360 does not come with wireless built in unless that is a new feature.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I mostly watch adult oriented entertainment on mine.. :D
  10. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

If you would like to experience streaming TV, forget the gaming console prices and google "roku" this little dandy will run between $60-90. It comes plug and play ready and has so much free TV its unreal. All you need is internet service, a wireless router and a TV. Netflix, pandora, discover, and several hundred other channels at your fingertips .
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The biggest drawback is that XboxLive cost me $60 a year.
  12. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i don't download games unless i can't find a hard copy. that way, if the government cracks down on the internet, i can disconnect and play away :D
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

something i find annoying is that more and more games lately require an internet connection to even play single player. just another way to control people:mad:
  14. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Netflix sure saves us some grief here, they have 2 seasons of Yo Gabba Gabba for the girls, they love it and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR!
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't really like Netflix. I will never again buy movies or TV shows from the iTunes Store because they're encrypted. I don't get how it's fair that you pay for the movie - even as much as it would cost to go buy it on a Blu Ray or a DVD, and you can't even burn it to a disc to watch on a TV. Same way with the Playstation Store on Playstation Network.