How dumb can some people be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by howlnmad, Aug 19, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I thought so. And im glad. Situations like this are not instances where second chances should be given. You and you loaved ones only get 1 life, and some crazy lunatic can take it in a second. maybe he will be sorry for it later, after hes sobered up, but sorry doesnt bring back your daughter, wife, or grandkids, who would remain dead, forever. Sorry I keep ranting about this. Its just too close to home for me.

About a year and a half ago I was a single locked door away from having to shoot and kill my own brother late one evening, with almost identical circumstances. Had my brother, who was drunk and high and hell bent on killing his wife because he heard a rumor she was cheating on him, and somehow came to figure she was hiding at my house, come thru that door I would have had no choice, he had already threatened to kill me and my family for hiding her so I already had my shotgun ready and I had already seen the look in his eyes. He was capable of the threats he was making, he wasnt himself.. But God intervened and he suddenly stopped trying to break my door down and left, and luckily was pulled over by the police just minutes later because he was driving on the wrong side of the road. He got to spend the next week in jail instead of eternity in hell. Things still arent the same between us, I dont trust him near my family. I know hes sorry for it, but brother or not, he crossed a line you just dont cross. My guard will always be up where hes concerned. And it tears me up inside because hes my blood.

Just keep an eye on that guy Howln. Im scared for you.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nobody was questioning whether or not the guy needed shooting. My ONLY question was, are you justified. The rest isnt up for debate. Bad guy, my house, dead. As long as I know its justified. Remember, the courts are slam full of liberal judges and lying liberal ambulance chasing lawyers just looking for "legal" and "law abiding" citizens to make the wrong move.

I would like to believe that a justified shooting will be properly defined as such and that in that circumstance, the cops will report in your favor. But dont ever "assume" thats what will happen. Liberal gun grabbers like soros and his cronies have many laywers waiting to pounce on this issue. Just be certain you are in the right. You will be sorry if you dont.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Again I do realize that, and maybe its just me, but id sooo much rather be sorry some liberal A hole is throwing the law book at me than be sorry I didnt protect my family. "legally" justified or not. If I let some loon kill my family, I may as well let him kill me too, and if someone threatens the well being of my family, the law is the last thing on my mind. My first priority is to protect my family at all costs and by any means I deem necessary to do so. The law will have to decide whether or not I was justified, because in my mind I was more than justified.
  4. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

my thoughts exactly. I couldnt have said it better.
  5. Double D

You are not hearing me. You keep reverting back to the same thing. Listen, I have heard all of the stories about how billy bobs brother jim bob shot a guy on his front lawn and the cops showed up and helped him drag the guy in the house and bla bla bla. All I am saying is protect yourself like you need to. Dont shoot a guy in his car when he pulls up at your house hollering at you. If someone tries to do harm and enter your house then do what you got to do.
    This is not a debate on who will protect their family and who wont. Its just sound advice that could mean the difference between sunshine and a cold cell. Its just that simple. Its like a post I read here a while back where someone said waving a desert eagle would intimidate someone. The bad guy shouldnt even know what he is shot with. You pull your firearm to shoot it, not show it.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im hearing you loud and clear DD. I never said Id a shot him in his car. I said I would have shot him the moment he got out of his car and headed toward me or a family member.

I agree with what you are saying, but at the same time, All im saying is that the law should be in the back of your mind in a situation like this, not in the front causing you to hesitate. Fear of the law and fear of consequence I feel would cause alot of people to hesitate the moment they need to be defending themselves or their loved ones, and that hesitation could result in the death of the wrong person or people. Every defense situation is unique. every defence situation has its own boundary line that necessiates the use of deadly force. Im just saying in THIS situation, a preemptive threat over the phone, then the guy shows up with his intentions, that boundary line would have been my front porch step.

And I agree with the waving the gun thing. If I draw my weapon on somebody its because I have made the decision that i need to use it and the bad guy isnt going to notice what kind or how big it is, it would be draw, present, tap tap tap, and re-assess the situation, and if the situation requires additional taps, they will be re-administered 2 or 3 at a time until the situation is resolved.

Im not some trigger happy redneck that just wants an excuse to kill someone. I like to believe im a level headed person that takes all the possibilities into account when I make a decision, especially the one to take another persons life in the defense of mine and my own.

All this boils down to is know your self defense rights, be certain what is legal for you to do in a defence situation and dont hesitate.

As for me personally, I know my rights as a Texan, and I know whats within the realm of the use of justifiable deadly force, but at the same time.. Protecting the lives of my family is worth some time in a cold cell. if thats how it ended up, que sera sera. Ill sleep in peace on my hard cold jail bed knowing I did my best and protected my family.
  7. Double D

Thats all I am saying is know the laws. See, if someone pulls up to my house with bad intent, I am not going to go outside. If I know they are coming, I will call the law, lock the doors and put family members as far away from harm as possible. Then I will take up a position that covers the entrances. Someone enters in, well, thats their problem. And, I wont shoot to wound.

If I have no warning, then I will have to depend on what I know and I will do whatever it takes to do it. But, given the situation that someone calls my house and gives me warning they are coming, they will be just like catching a rat in a trap. No public display and no words spoken.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

100% agreed DD. Your unique boundary line is your front door in that case. it is a good one to have if your housing layout provides a safe room for family members. mine does not. Every room has at least one window, most have 2 and there are 2 entrances/exits to my house. one is covered by a fenced back yard and my Labs, the male of which is quite aggressive with strangers, so that ones covered. Which just leaves my front porch and me in the doorway with a 12 ga. From there.. Que sera sera.. ;)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The police informed the wife that in this case, the screen door to the porch was the line. Now that they have restraining orders it moves that line out to thr edge of the property.
    My house is 2 story and every room has at least 2 windows. She moved everyone upstairs and stood her ground. The front and back doors have a line of sight from one to the other. This scumbag is the kind that has to show his a$$, she knew he would come to the front.
    Had he not shown, they would've just taken a report and left. Since he did show, that gave them reason to believe there was intent. Loser's still in and can't find anyone to post his bond.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would like to point out a little quirk in the laws of TX, can't speak for other states. Here, in TX the cops are called to a shooting. The home owner has shoot an intruder. The intruder is in the master bedroom doorway, and the door is kicked in. Looks cut, and dried, right? Well in TX any time a person is shoot by another, it's concidered to be "murder" untill the case is concluded. I know that TX has the Castle laws, but my DA (Harrison Co.) said that this will only come into play when the investigation of the case is concluded. In other words, you are guilty untill you can prove you're innocence! I'm not kidding here, we, the DA, and I, had an hour long discussion on this! Surprised the stuff out of me! The cops don't know what happened, and they don't know the sequence of events. The DA, not the cops, will choose wheather to prosecute or not! And the DA most probably will not ever see the crime scene personally. When was the bed room door kicked in? Did the deceased come to the bed room to cause trouble, or did you lure him there? Be sure you know the laws in your State, County, and City, they may not be the same! Be sure that you have a good lawyer on standby, in a shooting, you are going to need him. I'm not saying to hesitate! I'm like the rest of you, family, and personal safety first! If I have to go to jail, well, I've been there before! Just wanted to make it clear, that in a shooting the law doesn't see things the way we might!
  11. Double D

Carver, thanks for posting exactly what I was trying to say.
  12. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Had a high ranking member of State law enforcement tell my wife if she had to shoot someone to call him and he would drag the body inside the house for her
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We all know that in a justified shooting there probably won't be any problems at all. Probably! It's kinda like the question about, should I use my reloads for SD ammo? There is absolutly no way that we can know what kind of stuff will come down on us at any time. Be alert! Be educated! Be prepared! With my luck, if my neighbor shot an intruder, I would go to jail for it!
  14. Willie

Willie Active Member

They say here in Texas if you shoot someone you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. In other words you are going to jail and be in the system till the cops figure out what happened. I think everyone here would expect that.
  15. Willie

Willie Active Member

Also can't shoot anyone in the back from over 23 feet away. Seriously.
  16. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Sure read alot of "what I would've done" in these cases. Hope he gets whats coming to him one day...not in front of the cops and mayor though. ;)
  17. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

actually, having the authorities present would cement in their minds the fact that the assailant was a threat, especially if he attacked the mayor :D