How exactly to conceal this thing?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by LeSabreUltra, May 2, 2007.

1. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

It's getting to be summer time, I just got a CCW, and a gun to utilize it with...

Naturally I chose one big hoss of a gun for CCW (Really had no other choice):
    [​IMG]
    It's old and semi-rusty, but it works flawlessly.

And it's up to me to find out a way to properly conceal this thing. It'll fit in some of my pant's pockets but the grip likes to flop out and it leaves a nice bulge, leaving an observer to wonder if I'm carrying or...something else.

I have an old holster of my grandfather's which wasn't made for this gun but fits it well nonetheless:
    [​IMG]
    I might be able to figure out some way to flip it to the inside and use it that way, but we'll have to see.

Basically what I'm wondering is, how do you all carry? Especially with a gun this large.

If it was wintertime I could just wear a coat and be done with it, but I need a way to get to and from the shooting range and be out and about without any problems. Buying another gun isn't an option for me. :(

Just as another point of interest, how good is the .38 S&W for self defense?
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. board917

board917 New Member

HAHA... ok cowboy, the only way u r gonna be able to come close to concealing that is to wear it horizontally and upside down on the small of your back... kind of like a reverse cross draw. But i really recommend getting a weapon that was designed when the term "concealed weapon" existed. I understand the $$ issue tho, im a college student and i dropped $600 on an XD45 that was stolen 3 weeks later, then i had to drop another $500 on my current XD 40 sub.

But remember... ur weapon has to fit ur lifestyle... if u have to change the way you dress or anything else to be able to carry then eventually u will start leaving ur gun at home.

You may wanna leave that baby in the truck or only carry it at night and in bad parts of town as to avoid having ur CCW taken away when u bend over and expose it to the nearest hippy.

P.S. carrying it like i suggested is gonna be very uncomfortable when seated.
  3. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Ah thanks, I figured as much. I guess I'll just tuck it under the seat and put it in my pocket if I really think I'll need it. Come winter it won't be such a problem.

And yes, I tried it like that and while it wasn't too bad standing up, sitting down was an...odd feeling.
  4. You might gain a little with some kind of IWB holster, LaSabre, perhaps one of those generic soft material types, though it would probably be pretty uncomfortable to carry even then.
  5. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

I'll try that but you're probably right. :\

I could always carry this:

[​IMG]
    :D

But due to the collectability of the gun I'd rather not.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carried a Model 15, Combat Masterpiece, for years in a similar holster, but only in the three seasons where the clothes would conceal it. Being a Jurist, I was nearly always in a suit and tie so it was hidden quite well.

I carried a smaller weapon when in shorts or casual. Usually either a Model 60 or my Baby Browning loaded with PP HP +P ammo. The Baby Browning had a small leather holster but fit in the side trouser pocket without any bulge of distinction.....
  7. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

did you get the shots for tetanus first???? that is a nice revolver double purpose you can shoot some one and if that doesn't work you can scratch him so he can get tetanus. JUST JOKING
  8. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Yeah, concealing this in the cooler months won't be a problem...I guess I can carry the CZ if the need is present. Or maybe I'll have a stroke of genius with this.

Haha yeah that was deserved...however it is no longer in that condition! It has just recieved a proper restoration in the form of a total re-bluing done by yours truly:

[​IMG]

Ignore those little bits of leftover oil splotches.
  9. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i dont like your holster! you have the trigger exposed so that would be the 1st thing i'd change.

have you considered a belly band?? i think that's what they are called... you could probably conceal just about anything w/ 1 of those, of course, if you are in a hot part of the country, it may not be too comfortable.

before our computer got struck by lightening :)rolleyes: ) last summer, i had a good link on how to make 1, but i no longer have it to post.:eek:
  10. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Ha, yeah I know. It's an old holster that I think was originally intended for a smallish snub nosed revolver but this is the only gun that fits it. It was kinda interesting.

I like that belly band idea. It does get kinda hot around here but I'll deal with it. I'm guessing bungee cords wouldn't be the way to go with that? Maybe a long bit of some fabric would work. Wouldn't make for a quick draw but then I really doubt I'm going to be in a situation where that would be necessary anyway.
  11. Havoc

Havoc New Member

ROFL LeSabre!! :D :D That's like trying to conceal nuclear reactor parts or something! I'd suggest growing your gut really big and then concealing that guy under the flap. :p
  12. rosierita

rosierita New Member

ya know those weight loss bands that you can get for your midsection?? the 1s i've seen were not that same material, but looked like that... the person had made his own by sewing a soft holster inside of the band & he always wore a button up shirt, that he'd replaced the buttons w/ snaps... (it still maintained the look of a buttoned up shirt.)

the guy may have used a back brace to make his, i'm not sure.
  13. rosierita

rosierita New Member

14. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Thanks for the links! I like that idea, I'll definitely have to look into it. I think this gun will be mostly for the cooler months...like Havoc said, this thing is just way too big to be carrying around with light clothing unless I have a tank gut. ;)

I think in the meantime I'll just carry my CZ Duo. Having it just ride in my pocket with nothing else in it shouldn't wear off the finish, should it? I don't want any harm to come to it. It's so easily concealable though that it would seem to be the natural choice. It may be a small caliber but it's better than nothing.

I may carry the ill-regarded RG 40 .38 snubbie for any occassion when I feel a larger caliber would be better suited. All I know is, it goes bang everytime I fire it. :)

I found a very nice Smith and Wesson .38 small frame revolver at the local gun shop the other day for around $400. I was drooling. I'm saving up for one at my next birthday. THAT will be my CCW in the years to come.