How heat and humidity affect the performance of ammo.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Remington597, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I live in Florida, and often wonder about this. I often leave my CCW pistol in my glove box in the car. The weapon is loaded. Should I worry about extreme heat and humidity affecting the ammo and/or the pistol? Temperatures here can get to 100 easily in the summer and inside the glove box to 120 very easily. , I think this is well within the threshold of tolerances, but I have always been curious. Any advice is appreciated. My CCW is a Taurus PT22 and I also swap it with a KelTec 9mm at times.

Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  2. frosty

frosty New Member

If it were me I would unload the weapon completely. I would place the clip under the seat. It would be in the shade, away from direct heat, and easy to get to. You could carry the clip in your pocket that should not be a problem. Store the weapon in the glove box locked. When you reenter the automobile load the weapon ( be careful ).

This not a definite way to do it. You still must be careful but at least the ammo is not under undue stress and heat. Remember always plan ahead and have a way to store your weapon and ammo without causing problems and distractions. Practice this with an UNLOADED CLIP AND WEAPON. I don't want to be condescending just want everybody to safe and happy but at the same time trained and ready.

patirck
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

It might be worthwhile to check the temp in the trunk of the car on those hot days...Just brain storming here but I'm wondering if the glass heats the interrior of the viehicle up to a higher temperature than the trunk...Worth a try, also you would not have to deal with loading and unloading the mag.

Unfortunatly, Frosty and I know what you mean about that summer heat.

~Crp
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

When I lived in AZ, it was much hotter. Kept a pistol in the truck and never had any problem as I never kept it in the sun. I would not worry about it! Unless, you are loading your own and they are known to be hot loads. Then I would switch to factory ammo. I have always carried factory ammo in a carry gun due to legal reasons.
  5. orangechief

orangechief New Member

I agree with Frosty. I keep my .40 clip under the seat during summer where it is cooler. Also, I try and crack the windows on nice days. Better safe than have no dash due to a freak accident!
  6. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Good advice guys, thanks.