1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

How Hot is Hot Before it's too Hot?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

MarkReloaderGuy
    Unregistered User
    (2/21/02 8:13:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All How Hot is Hot Before it's too Hot?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My question is for the experienced Hot load reloader/shooter.

OK.. So I did a dumb thing. After hearing about always checking and rechecking things while reloading I still screwed up. I'm reloading .270 for my brand new Ruger M77 bolt action rifle. I loaded 10 at minimum load specs from my Lee Reloaders Book and shot them thru the gun. They go nice So.. to follow up I was very careful to be very accurate as usual while reloading the last 40 cartridges using H4831 powder with what I thought were Nosler 130 gr balistic tip bullets using a load of 58.5gr. Right in the middle of the load range for a 130 gr jacketed bullet.

The problem is this: when I was all done and about to trash the empty bullet box I discovered they are NOT 130 gr but 140 gr Nosler balistic tips. Fortunately, I was using a mid range load. But, unfortunately the "Never exceed" specs in my Lee book is set at 58.0 gr. I loaded them all with 58.5 gr :-(

My question: How hot can hot be? Should I knock the bullets out and reload them for a measly .5 gr (less than 1% over the max limit)?

I'm inclined to just shoot them since it is so marginally over the limit and my gun is brand new, so probably a stronger breach than an older, loose, gun. I expect "Never Exceed" is like most things, a max for the average gun that includes old loose guns as well as new.

Please advise.

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/02 9:33:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del How Hot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MarkReloaderGuy, I also have the Lee " Reloading Manuel " and the Lyman reloading and also a pet load book.

What I have found is that Lee is a little on the "LOW" side compared to the other reloading books. So I would not think that .5grs of your powder would be too much, especially for a new weapon. If you were using some REAL OLD type weapon, I would say ,take them ALL APART , and start over.

I think you are OK this time.

BUT, IN THE FUTURE, CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, TRIPLE CHECK. and then check it again before reloading.

I personally check everything three times before I reload anything, powder, bullets, grains, brass, primers. And for my HOT LOADS, I weigh the powder, it takes longer, but I feel a lot better about them.

jmtcw

loader44.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/02 12:23:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How Hot
    You're probably OK.......but why take the chance? Do you REALLY want to take the chance on harming a new rifle (and possibly yourself)?

Pull 'em.....and next time be more careful!

Never light your cigar with a stick of dynamite.

velvetnsteel
    (2/22/02 4:59:32 pm)
    You should AT LEAST pull 10 of them and use those cases to work up to your load. You need to remember safety first and better safe than sorry. Good luck.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/24/02 2:31:34 am)

Quote:

Xracer said:
    You're probably OK.......but why take the chance? Do you REALLY want to take the chance on harming a new rifle (and possibly yourself)?

What he said.

Rich

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:43:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How Hot
    Only if you're not shooting with Homer Jones and Big John Talley....

la lalala la la...lalala la laaaaa....

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/02 7:56:52 am)
    I don't think you can put enough 4831 in a 270 case to blow up the gun (assuming barrel isn't obstructed) but why try to Hot Rod a new gun? or an old one either. I got into reloading years ago for accuracy and cost savings (still costs, just get to shoot more for same money) what kind of group do you want/expect with the MAX loads? faster is not always more accurate

MarkReloaderGuy
    (3/4/02 7:03:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How Hot is Hot Before it's too Hot?
    Thanks for all your input guys.

I bought the latest Lyman reloaders guide just to see if the loads were any higher for 270 winchester at the top end. Not so. They are at 58.0 grains for a 140gr also. (

Good advice one and all... I hate too flush all that work but... I'm going to pull 'em!

Incidentally, I like the lyman guide. Clear, easy to use, interesting.

Thanks,
    MarkReloaerGuy )