How important is checking bullet run out

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RodneyJ, Oct 23, 2008.

1. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

Thinking of buying the RCBS case master guage was curious as to how many of you check your case and bullet run out and has the accuracy of your loads changed since you have started correcting problems with run out.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RodneyJ:

Obviously this is an advanced technique. I have not personally done an A/B comparison but the DVD video "Advanced Handloading...Beyond the Basics" by John Barsness from Handloader magazine did. He covers the technique really well as well as several others too. If you are wondering about case runout and how it impacts accuracy then I suggest you get this video. Midway has it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=680352

I would add the whole concept has real truth from a technical point of view and if I cared to get the Max accuracy I would follow the direction in this video.

LDBennett
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The short of it is that, unless you are using top of the line loading tools made for benchrest shooters, more often than not, measuring bullet run out is like chasing your tail; no matter what you do to make your bullets concentric, it's never going to work and only end with a lot frustration. The proof of your loading is downrange so let that be your real guide. I have and do check run out on my long range target loads, but I only use it for culling out rounds with grossly off center bullets.
  4. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

Thanks, LDBennett and USMC-03
    Sounds like this is something I dont need to worry about as I load for hunting and most of my shots are within 100 yards. I probably will get the video it sound interesting.