How is "range distance" actually measured?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marful, Jul 23, 2012.

1. marful

marful New Member

This is for the rifle shooters. I'm curious from what "point" a distance is actually measured. Let's just stay with a simple 100 yard target, and assume it's NON 3D, simple flat paper target. Where is that 100 yards measured from? The tip of the barrel? The tip of the bullet? The bottom of the cartridge?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it's a rough estimate yes

some places have the edge of the shooting rest or top of the berm exactly 100, but the barrels often extend past there so , yes its not to the inch or anything , unless you get ridiculous

big competition have a dont pass line , the shooters position themselves and gear so they dont go over that , so thats a bit more than 100 , but you dont get pinged by the umpire
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've steeped it off, measured it with a tape measure, and used a range finder.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Measured with a tape from the edge of my shooting bench to the target frame. The couple of inches over the edge of the bench don't make a bit of difference. My standing position has a Square beam set into the ground and if I stand on it then the barrel extends the same amount as it does when I am sitting at the bench.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums marful and that is a good question.
    I myself measure 100 yrds. from the front edge of my shooting bench, when shooting from a bench. If standing or useing something other than a shooting bench, I measure from the rifle bore as close as possible.
    If shooting long range (4,5-600 yards) I use a laser range finder and within a couple of yards, I dont bother much with spot on. But I'm always within 1-2 yards (3-6 feet) on lasered long range shots.