How Lethal Is A .22 ???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 25, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

People often ask this question and also if the .22 LR is a viable defense round. Well it certainly wouldn't be my first choice but, I just found this video I thought was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have seen plenty of persons fall to the .22lr...oversaes and in the US. It really is an underestimated round.
  3. NoNoBadDoggie

NoNoBadDoggie New Member

Great video MT, thanks for the link. I just finished a 10-22 for a friend and then talked him into giving it to me for my birthday! hehehe I like it just fine too. Take care guys..
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive killed enough living creatures with one to know I sure as hell wouldnt want to be shot with one..

The .22LR has a nasty tendency to hit and follow bones. Say you were shot in the upper arm, the bullet would likely hit your bone and follow it either exiting the top of your shoulder or your elbow or hand if youre lucky, or worst case taking an arm shot, the bulet could follow the bone upward to your collarbone where it could be deflected along that bone and directed up thru your neck into your brain..

The same holds true for center mass shots.. The bullet could strike a rib breaking it and end up following it around to your spine where the damage could paralyze you for life..

Dont believe the .22 has the penetration capability to do it?? Try shooting a frozen butterball turkey at 200 yds. a std velocity 40 gr solid still has enough power to penetrate clean thru it.. Ive done it..
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The thing about using a .22 for self defense is because it has such little recoil the follow up shots are quick. A good shooter can place 3 quick shots with nice groupings pretty quick. That would ruin someones day.
  6. twobit

twobit Active Member

Have used one to kill a 1000 pound steer we butchered. One shot to the brain. It was dead before it hit the ground. Shot was point blank from a pistol of course.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Exactly. Shot placement is key. A couple 40 grain solids in the breadbasket will buy you some time to get away, and thats only if the guy getting his breadbasket filled with lead doesnt fall dead.

Its not my 1st choice for a CCW caliber, but its certainly not to be underestimated or overlooked. And it is certainly better than a knife or a can of pepperspray.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Could you imagine hitting the bad guy in the forehead and it bounced off. You would knock the crud out of him and ring his bell. That would be a reminder to him for the rest of his life every time he looked in the mirror.
  9. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Ask Robert Kennedy if a .22 will kill you !!
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

The .22 is a proven assasin weapon used to fire into the base of the skull.I have killed large wild hogs and deer with a single .22 round.It wouldnt be a first choice but any gun is better than none
  11. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Very, You could ruin someones day with one...:) Cliff
  12. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

.22 is my favorite caliber. I have larger guns such as 9mm and 40 but if all I had was a .22 I would go with the one I can depend on.

That would be a Ruger MK-11 or a Single-Six.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Um, the question in the title to the thread was rhetorical. You all sound like you're trying to convince me.:D I just thought that video was interesting. I wouldn't have expected that much penetration @ 300 yds.
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I think JLA did some interesting testing of different .22 lr loadings with idea of self defense in mind. I see if I can dig it up.
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Only issue with .22 as a self defense round is feeding reliability in a semi auto. But with a revolver or a good rifle, very effective (with good shot placement).

Wouldn't want to get hit with one that's for sure!

I carry my little NAA .22mag revolver as a last ditch BUG, I'm a believer! People in my neck of the woods used to (I'm sure they still do) poach deer quite often with .22 rifles, quiet and a head shot will usually put them down quick.

thanks for the video MT!