How Lethal Is A .22 ???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

Plenty of armies use the 22 LR for training purposes, including Canada. No, it's not the weapon of choice for combat or self defense. The 5.56 isn't either. When I enlisted I was used to shooting hunting rifles. When I qualified with the 5.56 I thanked the lord it was peace time. I sure wouldn't want to face some guy who thinks dying is going to get him 21 virgins with a glorified 22 wmr.

Weird things happen when someone is shot with any weapon. A plain clothes officers shot one of the North Hollywood bank robbers with a .380 in the shoulder. The FBI report concluded that if he had shot the robber with a FMJ instead of a HP he would have died. Every weapon has it's drawbacks, even the heavy hitters. Sometimes to get the job done it takes multiple shots with any gun. If you want to use extreme examples some people survived the bombing of Hiroshima.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Or perhaps a well placed shot is what it takes.
    WITH ANY CALIBER!!
    Mike
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Case #1: Guy only has enough money for 1 pistol. He needs that pistol to small game hunt and protect himself and plink with.

Case #2 Guy wants a gun to protech himself. Neither have shot much before buying their pistol. This guy buys Glock 17 with extra mags, holster and 100 rnd of sd ammo.

Guy in case one shoots a lot has cheap ammo and can kill a squirrel at 50 yards with his 22lr. Guy two shoots 2 mags holds a 10" group for 75% of them the other 25% miss the target. Guy 1 can shoot 3" groups at fifty yards with his.

I would much rather have a guy who only hits 75% of the time shooting at me vs a guy who can stack his shots in tight groups. I am sorry unless someone is hopped up on drugs and you shoot them 10 times and hit 8 to 10 times with a 22 at 21' they are not going to want to be in a firefight with you.

I have taken squirrels, raccoon, skunks, groundhogs, ducks, coyotes, and Deer all with a 22lr.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. i'll take a 22 vs running around with my arms up yelling 'help help' any day.. :)
  5. lilmule

lilmule New Member

The report or sound of a 22 just might bring help,summertime shorts n t shirt I cc a 22 cal alone,as am built small it takes some more clothing to hide either my llama 32acp or my pa63.That is currently the largest I cc with a 9x18.And dont feel under gunned with my Llama,do somewhat with the 22 but only at times,considering cannot hide larger in summer attire thank full to have it then.
    Before you make fun of my 32 acp it is longer than 3.5 in barrel wise s and b 60 grain jhp=1200 fps =205 fpe more than the average lightweight short barreled 380.
    In a 22 use left over stuff that wouldnt function in my semi auto as its now a revolver 1 in snubby.,like round leadnose,or any of the remingtons stock jhp or covered brass fmj,functioned fine in the pt22 just left over.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. GregD

GregD New Member

From 1972 to 2005, worked a bunch of homicides. Many many shot with .22 rimfire, short and long rifle and a few with magnums.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Are we back to this again? Yes no matter what else we can say it is possible to kill some bozo with a .22. It happens. But these guys with their magic 10/22's that put a million rounds in a bad guy before you can spit are just like using spitballs on a herd of elephants. Sure you might get lucky and put an eye out here or there but anyone who's paid attention knows that it takes a heck of a lot of rounds to actually kill a bad guy when you're not just taking pot shots at your husband while he's asleep. Murder is not what we are looking for here. It's self defense and unless your 10/22 has some magic gizmo that makes it fire 21 rounds at once then you're better off using a shotgun which btw will fire 21 rounds of .22 size bullets at once. Not only that but some of them will actually do it again after they fire the first time. I'm guessing I can get off more lead with my 12 ga. than I could with a 10/22. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just a guess that firing 21 rounds at once is better than that one at a time stuff.

Oh yeah I should have mentioned that #4 buckshot pellets are slightly bigger than a .22 bullet. They are actually the size of a .24 caliber bullet. And they put 21 of them in ever shell. What were you guys saying about using a 10/22 again? Put 20 out of 25 rounds into the target? It's funny really that none of our soldiers could ever match that level of accuracy in a firefight. But it's pretty easy to get 21 buckshot into a bad guy all at once with a shotgun. And if you miss the first time you can always try again. My HD shotgun holds 7 shells +1 in the chamber. What is that, 168 .24 caliber pellets? Let's see you match that with those 10/22's. But it's all about shot placement of course. It seems to be mandatory that we say that in every post in these threads.
  8. PMK

PMK Former Guest

I'm no expert and I have not read all the posts. .22? Lethal? You bet!! Number 1 preferred caliber of hit men and some current governments. My friends laugh at me for my love of the .22. It will keep you eating if time gets tough. It is also capable of scrambling your brains like eggs. It is rare to survive a head shot from a .22 under 50 yards ( depending on grains and charge ). An extremely under rated caliber. In my humble opinion it is maybe the best all around caliber ever, especially with modern weapons and cartridges. If they don't drop when you hit them, odds are they will at least back up!! If defending yourself, you want to at least halt the offense. .22 will do that and likely a great deal more. .22 is deadly and demands respect.
  9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Most folks will aim for center mass. Which means a good chance of hitting bone. With a .22 the crotch is a better target for the first couple shots as a stopper. Think about it. ;)
  10. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Thanks, GunnyGene. I had not actually looked at it that way before. Damn nice thinking! I was limiting my scope to the scenario of the skulking towel entering the yard while I was set up with my trusty bolt action Targetmaster. Thanks for the insight.
  11. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Human anatomy is a required course for doctors, masseurs, and professional killers. There's a reason troops sit on their helmets in choppers, and it ain't for the comfort. :D ;)

Even if you miss the main target there's a good chance of busting a major artery, and he'll bleed out in a minute or so. It's all about winning. And as a side benefit, it reduces the ability of the bad guys to procreate more aholes, if they survive.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  12. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

My wife's cousin shot himself in the head with a .22 while cleaning his "unloaded" revolver. The bullet traveled around the outside of his skull under the skin and came out on the other side of his head. It barely hurt him at all. It didn't even leave a scar. This is common with a .22. If there is an angle to the bullet hitting a skull it will ricochet like skipping a rock off water.

Yes you can kill livestock with a .22. You put the gun right to the head of the animal. I've seen it done more than once. Get the angle wrong and you'll have a ricochet flying off who knows where.

BTW hit men use a .22 because of the noise level. They execute people by shooting them in the back of the head going under the skull at the point the brain stem sits. Hitting the brain stem causes instant death. That bouncing around the inside of the skull stuff is pure Hollywood.

Unless you get zero deflection (straight on shot) it is VERY possible for a .22 bullet to bounce off bone and go elsewhere. The much more deadly choice for a human would be to shoot them in the abdomen where the bullet can bounce around inside the body. Unless you are certain you can shoot straight into a skull then shoot for the crotch. That makes a lot of sense to me. Yes you can certainly kill someone with a .22. But light, slow moving bullets are well known to ricochet. Faster, heavier bullets don't ricochet nearly as much. That's why a .45 is almost useless when shooting a car windshield while a 9mm or a .40 will go through that glass. The same is true of steel BTW. That's the big reason I switched from a .45 CCW gun to a .40. I still carry my .45's once in a while depending on where I will be going. Out in the woods where penetration into things like car windshields will almost never happen a .45 is a great weapon. In a shootout with someone in a car give me a .40 and that's for the same reasons I wouldn't want a .22 in a gun fight. .40's are fast and fairly heavy. They have the benefits of both a 9mm and a .45 ACP. And they lack the problems the heavier, slower .45 have. With a .22 it's lighter and slower but the problem remains - ricochets.

Besides all that I can fire 21 rounds of .32 size bullets at the same time I'm firing ONE .22 size bullet. No contest.