how long does it take .....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wv hillbilly, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

to get over the loss of a loved one?
    dad died in 87and i miss him. but i really miss my mother. she died dec. 19th last year. there is hardly a day goes by that i dont think about her and cry because i miss her so much.
    my wife knows there is something bothering me, but i just cant tell her what is on my mind
    i just needed to tell someone
    thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You should tell your wife. She will understand.

I believe you never really get over the loss of a truly loved one. it gets easier with time but youll always miss them and it will get to you occasionally. Just remember that when it does get the best of you, just let it out. And dont be afraid to discuss it with those closest to you. It really helps you get thru it.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

talk it out mate ,

it may feel uncomfortable at the time but it'll lift the hassle you feel now

and missing folks , grandfather died 30+ years now and still miss the old coot
    best mate 2002 , 10 years this year, still not good with it all eh ..

I talk to God a lot about them , and to them in my own way too

there never really gone whist they live inside you eh ..

cheers to you and yours
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hillbilly, your awesome so I hope this helps.

Think of it this way, if your loved one's could look down and see you they would be saddened to see you mourning their loss, but they would be joyful to see your tears of happiness for the memories you will have forever. However they don't see us (in my belief) so now we need a way to deal with the loss.

Take this situation and be responsive as opposed to reactive. Go ahead and cry because you need to get that out. But, stop and take the time to put on paper the great memories that you have of them and then you can look back and see how they impacted your life. Then, take it and run. Then just like Josh said, tell your wife. She is your best friend and it would do both of you good to work it out together. The next thing you know time will be passing in a positive manner and you will see it this loss in the proper light. I know, my mom left way too early.

Remember, be responsive, not reactive.

Hope that helps.
  5. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

You'll always miss them. Go to your wife with your pain, just as you'd want her to come to with her pain.
  6. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

You need to talk to your wife about it Hillbilly. Your wife is your soul mate, and you can't keep what’s bothering you from her. I know it can be especially hard, since you have lost both of your parents. When you lost your dad you still had your mom, and now that she is gone, you lost the two most important people in your life besides your wife. Your wife is there to help you through the bad times as well as the good, and you are there for her.
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

takes what it takes. dad passed in 88, mom end of last month. miss both of them dearly, sucks not to able to pick up the phone and say hi.
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

My Dad passed back in 76..still think of him..he taught me many lessons I then taught my kids. when I taught them I told them of their grandfather and how he taught me what I was teaching them. I recently heard my grandson tell my wife about something his dad taught him and how he (his dad) had learned it from his granddad who he had never met. He asked my wife if she could fix it so his Dad could meet his grandad so he could learn some more stuff.."Cause he really knew some cool stuff!"

I felt that My DAD was just smiling up a storm listening to his great grandson telling my wife about that!

though our LOVED ones are no longer physically with us..they live on in our hearts and minds..I believe we remember them every time they think of us. the closer we were to them the more often we think of each other.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

It hurts, I never met either of my grandpas because the last one( my dad's father) died when I was 12 days old. I still think about them from photos and it is sad. Alot of times a person stays closer to their mother rather than father but not me. I love my whole family equal.
  10. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

.... and that, my friend, is what immortality really is !
    You live in the memory of these later generations !
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I dont know how to answer this. Some i hardly think about. But one in particular i think about allmost every day, 32 years now and counting.

YOu aint the only one. Know that and find a way to carry on.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

As said above in posts, I agree that your wife is your soul mate and she will understand.
    I've always had this strange thought, that I'd rather go before my loved ones.
    Some I dont think about alot, others...not a day goes by I dont think about or be reminded in one way or another of them.

But I also think about the Bible and as it is said, dieing is a part of life and that one
    day, we'll all be reunited...sorta a comfortable thought.
  13. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I dont know what to say that hasnt been said.Im sure it has to be hard.Im only 43 so I havent had many close relatives pass but Im sure going through a hard time as you know and my wife still lives.I cant imagine what your going through.Im sorry for you loss and I will pray for you to find a way cope with your loss.But you go ahead and feel free to talk to us anytime you want ole buddy.
  14. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

All my grandparents are gone, my mom didn't even live as long as I have - she died when she was 49. Never got to see her grandson. My dad is still alive - half the planet away.

You never really 'get over it', but the old saying that time heals all wounds is partly true. No matter how long you live, you will never forget them and you will miss them. What you learn over time is how to live with missing them. Honor them by being the best person you can be. Most of all, don't let the loss eat you up. Look at the family you still have and appreciate them all that much more. Believe me, that will help a great deal to help the healing process.
  15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

I don't think you ever get completely over them, but you do get to were the
    memory of them is not so depressing. It's part of life and how you handle it
    is what defines you. When my daughter died, I thought I would not make it.
    Doctor gave me some pills and they killed all feeling. Stopped them and worked though it, glad I did it that way, better than pills. Wanted to go outside and just scream, but figured men in white coats would show up.
    I understand why in Bible it tells of them tearing their clothing and crying.
    I went though bad times, daughter 2006, daddy 2007 and mother 2008.
    This and some other forums got me through it Just reading TFF's posts and
    others helped greatly.
    Now thinking about them doesn't hurt as bad and I can even talk about them.

THANKS TFF