How Long?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by durk, Feb 25, 2007.

1. durk

durk New Member

How long do you guys keep your high dollar self defense rounds in your guns before you go ahead and shoot them and buy some more. Assuming you don't practice with the high-dollar stuff.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Usually about 2 months, I practice with Federal's American Eagle 230 grain FMJ's, But for defense I carry hornady Tap 200 grain +P. I shoot them about every 2 months to make sure the primers haven't gotten screwed up from the salty air around here, But should sh*t hit the fan I have got 200 rounds of FMJ's and about the same in HP's packed away that don't never get touched
  3. I usually change out my carry ammo about every 90-120 days, durk, depending on how much I've carried the partictular weapon it was in. I then set it aside and use it at the range. One advantage of this is that I always get some practice using the actual ammo I carry, which can shoot to a slightly different point of aim than ball ammo. Of course, the climate here is dry, unlike where Southern lives, so in reality, I probably change it out more often than I really need to. But hey, reliability is everything when it comes to a carry gun and ammo.
  4. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Spring and Fall.
    Set the clocks foward/backward, change batteries in certain things, change oil etc. in work trucks (only about 13-1500 miles, but they are hard miles) along with ammo & mags in carry gun.

P.S.
    I also shoot it later at the range, never had carry ammo fail to fire - feed - etc. if I ever do, I'll change it out more often.
  5. durk

durk New Member

Hmmmm, I was thinking maybe a year or so. I must rethink.
  6. cec

cec New Member

Next trip to the Range. I tend to run through the ammo in the mag, then use my "range" ammo. About the only difference is my defense ammo is hollow point.

My time at the Range varies, but I would say it works out to once a month.

Generally, as long as the ammo is kept cool and dry, shouldn't be to much of a problem.
  7. durk

durk New Member

What about keeping a loaded gun in the vehicles glove-box during the hot summer? Please say it's OK.:)
  8. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Great question, got me to thinking. I have carry guns that have 4-5 year old ammo in them. I never thought about shelf life.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

When I go practice, I drop my good, hot, hollowpoints and practice mostly with less expensive rounds of the same weight and powder charge...I believe my "old" ammo (assuming I keep it dry) will be usable for my grandkids.

Crpdeth
  10. cec

cec New Member

I don't think that will be too much of a problem :D

Unless your vehicle gets in the 1000s, but by that point you may have other issues.
  11. pickenup

pickenup New Member

An addition to my post above.
    I USED to carry the same ammo for YEARS.
    NEVER had a problem with any of it.
    I just rotate ammo and mags now, to keep everything......fresh.
  12. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

worst case scenario, you should switch out you magazines (if a semiauto) and your ammo at least once a year, and give the gun a thorough cleaning and inspection at the same time...

thats the bare minimum.

but i agree with the others here, you are betting your life on the gun / ammo combo, so to be cautious every 3-4 months would seem the best option.

i know that modern materials, quality control, and manufacturing process mean that you "might" be safe and functional for years, i feel better taking the cautious route.

best regards, mike.
  13. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I change mine out every 6 months.