How many is a "Complete" collection?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/30/02 10:45:02 pm)
    Reply | Del All How many is a "Complete" collection?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK MN guys...I saw a guy advertising a "complete" collection of M44s in one of the auctions a while back, and it was just 4, a Russian, Polish, Hungarian, and a Romanian.

Complete my butt!

So it got me to thinking, as I was staring at my five on one wall, the few odd ones on the other wall, what is the MINIMUM number of M44s would you have to have to have a "complete" collection, if such a thing is possible? (I was not figuring dates so much, just variations...with a few exceptions, I'm figuring a 1948 and a 1949 are pretty much the same, for example.)

I have my number in mind, but I thought I would do it as a poll for fun to see your opinions....

Give your reasons, too...
    more than 13

Show results

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/30/02 11:03:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How many is a "Complete" collection?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polish, my understanding of a "complete" military rifle collection is this:

One from each year produced
    One from each factory and or each year it is produced for a COMPLETE COLLECTION of a specific rifle.

Example, the SKS has over 60, more if you collect complete factories AND years.

You would have to add "sneaks" to some, creating another space. Try collecting AK`s. LTS

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/30/02 11:29:11 pm)
    OK OK, let's say a "representative sample" of all variations.

The more I think about it, the more I think my choices I gave may be wrong, I thought 8 would do it, but now I think it might have to be 9.

Here's my thoughts, keeping in mind "minimum" number.

You have to start with a 1943 dated Model 1944, if just because that's the "test" run made from M38 parts...plus it just sounds neat.

If you get REALLY lucky you kill two birds with one stone, and your 1943 is a rare Tula, so you are still at "1."

You then need a wartime issue one, either a 1944 or early 1945. ...."2"

Then fer sure a late 1945 to 1949, to show the variation between a wartime and post war...."3"

I was thinking a Russian with East German markings for the last Russian, ...."4", because I thought you MIGHT be able to get all the sling slot variations, the basically three wood types- Dark hardwood, blonde hardwood, and laminated mixed among the 4 Russians...but I have never seen a laminated on anything but a wartime, and the simple wood slots with no metal reinforcements at all is also correct on a wartime only, so you probably need another wartime Russian...so....."5"

Then of course, a Polish, a Romanian, and a Hungarian...I BELIEVE you can get by with one each...outside of wear, I have yet to see any variation between ones from the same nation, just nation to nation. MAYBE you could get by without one stock variation on the Russians, since most Polish use the plain wood rear and half reinforced front slot that is a Russian variation too... but that's "8."

But I was also figuring you HAD to have a Type 53 Chinese so I guess my figuring is you could claim "complete" with about 9 of them...

(Of course you probably have to have at least one M38, even though not necessary...)

But then again, in the process you will SHOOT most of them, and some will shoot better than others, so by the time you put back the "my other sample just like this one looks better but this one shoots better" ones...you probably need about 45-50 of them...

At least that's what I'm telling my wife...

...and I still need my 1943 and EG, and oh yeah, an M38....

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 6:14:26 am)
    And don't forget the more rare Russian M44s supplied to China and re-issued as model 53, plus many other oddballs. I put the count well over 13.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 6:34:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How many is a "Complete" collection?
    Try that with Winchester lever actions, or even Model 12's.

Let's just say I'm in excess of your quoted numbers on each, and am nowhere through collecting...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/31/02 10:42:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Just like collecting hens teeth. Its all or none.

I don't think you can limit yourself by mere numbers of items collected.

One day when you sit back and look at a building jammed full of them you will wake up and wonder what IN THE HELL you have all of them for.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 8:07:41 pm)
    Yeah Bob, I forgot about that, the 44s overstamped in Chinese, DAMM.

Of course, you could say you need at least two Poles too, a 1952 and a not 1952.

I was just thinking in minimuns...and how many I still need until I can advertise mine for sale as "complete" and maybe afford a decent Garand.

BTW, does anybody have an East German?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/31/02 11:50:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Cayn't git nuff 'a dat Cruffler stuff!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

gwitness
    (9/3/02 3:37:33 pm)
    A complete collection would be an example of every variation.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/3/02 10:37:02 pm)
    Hey guys? Lasher just emailed me...he just bought one of those sweet rearsenaled 44s from Aztec Arms...$119 with all the accessories...and he got a HEX reciever 1945 IZHVESK!!! I would have bet the next house payment ALL 45s were ROUND Izhs....

I thought the ONLY Hexs were the test 1943 and early 1944 issue ones put together from leftover M38 stuff!!!!

Worse than that, his buddy bought 3...ALL were Tulas!!!! And he's pissed at Lasher because he won't trade him the Izh for a Tula...(Steve already has a 43 Tula, though...) Don't know the dates though, but those HAVE to be 43s or 44s...since Tula didn't make any, they HAVE to be ex-M38s...but then, just when you think you know 'em all....

I emailed him back asking if his buddy wants to trade a Tula for a couple of decent Poles...

Crap, my numbers now well over 10...just of the HAVE to haves....with no duplicates....I own only 12, but have dupes....

Edited by: polishshooter at: 9/3/02 11:39:31 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/3/02 10:39:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    lol polishshooter - you'd best get to collecting more then.

And dang it all now you've got me buying them!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/3/02 11:39:42 pm)
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I've laid in bed and looked at all the Russian/Chicom/Warsaw Pact/Finnish BA crap I have on TWO walls and tried to figure out just exactly how and WHY I ended up with them all...

(...and then remember I still have two more walls to go...)

(BEFORE I have to take over one of the kids' rooms...)

Those "pry bars" do grow on you...

Kinda like a Kit Cat bar...(or is it Pringles?) You can't have just ONE...

Sure glad my wife doesn't mind (too much) the Csarist/Soviet motif in the master bedroom...

Edited by: polishshooter at: 9/4/02 12:40:11 am

TexasVet
    (1/21/03 10:45:38 pm)
    It's not "complete" until you have ALL OF THEM! And you can't have mine, so... no "complete collection"!
    (I once tried real hard to have a "complete" Remington Rolling Block Military Rifle collection. Until I found out that Remington didn't EVEN KNOW how many different ones they built, or even how many different CALIBERS they built them in! All the book totals are guesses! That was the end of that.)
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, 68-70

MPinkston55
    (1/26/03 12:50:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del "Complete Collection"
    The term is an oxymoron.

Packet
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/03 8:46:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: "Complete Collection"
    A complete collection is how many you can fit in the house. If you run out of room, you get a bigger house.

sig230
    (1/27/03 12:14:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: "Complete Collection"
    Really a pretty simple and straightforward question.

Just one more!

fredarmory
    (2/10/03 8:57:06 pm)
    I think every variation of reciever casting, and barrel length would be enough with at least one of each cal.
    Gathered up and remarked ones are just screwed up ones to me!

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/03 9:07:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All you can get
    All you can get without the wife raising $#@! If you finish with the collection of 03's start on the Garands.M1 Carbines,Colt's, S&W,Ruger and so on.